Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Recording In Year1

Hi, Can anyone tell me what kind of levels of recording are expected/appropriate in Year 1? The children have had sometimes only 1 term in reception. Also are worksheet type activities acceptable?

Faye, I think this really depends on your school and the expectation of your HT and SMT.

I am expected to do at least 2 pieces of recorded (writing) work a week and independent writing every week with a different focus to that which we have been working with that week.

You do need to give children a framework within which to do their work and yes we use worksheets but keep them to a minimum, as we are also expected to work at a very quick pace and sometimes filling a box is the most appropriate way to do this!

Also depends on the child. I'd always think about why they are recording, rather than recording for recording's sake. You'd have emergent writing as they write for their own purpose, writing for you to assess their skills and then writing as they practise their skills. Then a piece of independent writing which should show you the progress they've made. Children always do better if writing for a purpose and that can be through a writing frame or proforma which means something to them. Think it depends on your definition of the term worksheet. I personally hate to see children recording on a sheet with stuff written on that they can't read/access. Just realised you probably don't meant just literacy. If you want evidence that you have been teaching them and want something in their books they can record ideas pictorially and then annotate it if not ready for writing.

Hope this doesn't sound too patronising, meant to be helpful!!

Suebear

I'm training in year 1. The children record in their maths books once a week, English book once a day (Read, Write, Inc.), Learning journey (topic) once a week. Worksheets are not used in Foundation or Year 1 in my school.

Quick edit to say that the supplementary worksheets that come with Read, Write, Inc are used, under direction.

Edited by sienna

Thank you for your replies. I guess it varies depending on the children and school. I agree though that recording for the sake of recording is pointless particularly if the children cannot read/access worksheet style formats. I think photographs probably still have a place too, of their practical work and play just as in FS.

Thank you for your replies. I guess it varies depending on the children and school. I agree though that recording for the sake of recording is pointless particularly if the children cannot read/access worksheet style formats. I think photographs probably still have a place too, of their practical work and play just as in FS.

Absolutely agree with photos! I think lots of learning in year 1 should be play based and practically and photos particularly in maths show such a lot! Also observation notes on sticky labels are greta too. As for the children recording, I think they do need to do some recording during the week but it depends on children, activities, school expectations etc. x

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all,

I am currently studying a foundation degree, I am currently working through my last assignment which is all about the curriculum. I was just wondering if anyone can give me some help with answering a few questions about the curriculum in year one or year two that you follow such as

How your planning links to the national curriculum?

What your views are on assessment?

What your views are on working within a national curriculum?

How do you assess your children? such as SATS?

Transistions - what do you put in place for your children?

Thank you, your replies will be much appreciated!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)