Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Suitable Outdoor Wear

Hi - Want to run an idea by you all before I go with it.

I'm a believer children should be out in all weathers. Often children are still coming to school w/o wellies, outdoor waterproof coat.

Have sent reminders to parents but it doesn't sink in with some. And, as a working mum myself I know you sometimes mean to get new wellies etc sorted in the weekend but it doesn't happen.

Talking to my colleague I had the idea of photocopying a standard message. It wouold have a picture of a sad girl/boy or face, with a speech bubble with the words, Mummy, I wanted to go outside today in the rain but I didn't have my wellies/coat.... or, Mummy I wanted to play in the mud today but ....

I'd let the child colour it in/draw a sad face.

As a mum personally I'd get the mesage and wouldn't be offended anyone think it wouldn't be okay.

Talk ed to a KS2 teacher who said she may do this for PE kit too.

CHeers

Quinny

well you can be sure the ones that would complain about it would be the parents that felt bad!!! I would be ok with this is my child had it working in her school/ nursery!

Any chance of buying some plain wellies in for spares?

I am about to send a note home asking for wellies to be kept in school - under no illusion that this note will be responded to by all!

Be interested to see what everyone else thinks to this idea...

Talking to my colleague I had the idea of photocopying a standard message. It wouold have a picture of a sad girl/boy or face, with a speech bubble with the words, Mummy, I wanted to go outside today in the rain but I didn't have my wellies/coat.... or, Mummy I wanted to play in the mud today but ....

CHeers

Quinny

Hi Quinny

I think this is a high risk letter unless you know your parents really well and what their circumstances are - it may not be that they do not send them in appropriate clothes but that they cannot.

How about sending out a request to all families in the school for spare wellies and spare wet weather gear and keep these in school at all times.

Or have a fund raising afternoon or raffle etc and buy wet weather gear to be kept in school. On another post there was a website with some good reasonably cheap wet weather outfits.

Emilia

HI Quinny,

How about finding out the prices of some in tesco's or asdas. You could send a letter out saying you can get them in for the children but they would have to pay for them first. That way they dont need to go and get them at the weekend?

Adele

Edited by Guest

you are right - hadn't thought immediately about the ones that might not be able to provide...can you tell i am fresh from a private school. Thank you for making me think!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)