Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Frogs

Did this with Year1/2s - observed and drew changes over time to tadpoles. Made a large life cycle display (used bubblewrap with black marker pen dots for frogspawn).

Dance sessions - move like tadpoles/frogs.

Number rhymes - five little speckled frogs. Draw/paint speckled frogs (discuss what speckled means)

Make a large display of tadpoles in their tank

Bubble printing (thinly mixed blue paint, washing up liquid, drinking straws) to look like water. Make water weeds by dragging string through green paint (use different shades of green paint, different thicknesses of string)and then drag in random patterns over bubble printed paper. Tadpoles can be black marks made by blowing a drop of black paint through a drinking straw onto background.

Small world play in water tray - plastic frogs, pebbles

Make a miniature garden with soil, twigs, bricks, plants, rocks, pebbles, selection of toy frogs. Could include activities on growing and could add cress heads to miniature garden.

Can't think of anything else at mo.

Hoppy Frog Painting.

I laminate card frogs with big feet (fold them) we can attach textures to.

I then fold the feet out and attach things like bubble wrap, scouring pads, sponge etc to the feet.

the children then are invited to make thier frogs move across thier paper.

A great one for language, hop, boing, spring, ribbit, croak, etc.

I usually get 4 to 6 from an A4 sheet of green card, various sizes, laminate and attach the feet.

This is an adapted idea from Penguin Skating Painting where the children skate the penguins around on their paper.

I also make Red Arrow planes for our TT Week celebrations where the children fly the plane around, looping the loop etc. We also make a small plane and attach it to a pipe cleaner looping out of the painting.

I really hope the description is clear folding laminated frog feet is hard to describe xD:o:(

I also use mini "koosh" balls to make speckled frogs - like marble painting but the koosh balls do trnd to give a speckled texture. I try to cut frog shaped paper first, but the children get to choose what colour frog they would like. Also helps with colour mixing using just primary colours.

I am working currently with 2-3's and have just mixed a hue of greens which have been really effective.

I love the spring and growth topic, if I think of anything else of the top of my head I'll post it, otherwise I'll go through my old FS planning and see what there is

Thanks very much - have you got a photo of your laminated frogs? I'm having a spot of difficulty picturing them!!

The next 2 weeks we are looking at tadpoles/frogs - has anyone got any brill ideas for creativity etc.

Thanks

28580[/snapback]

Hi Chris

Here are a few links and ideas hope you can find some use for them.

www.cornwallwildlifetrust.org.uk (this site gives you an activity sheet about watching tadpoles grow and recording their progress) I suppose this means you may need to get hold of a bowl of frog spawn :o:) so I don't know how easy that will be for you. Have a look anyway as there is lots of other interesting links to do with frogs.

www.ex.ac.uk/bugclub An interesting site with newletters and other information you may find useful.

I have attached so colour pictures of frogs that you can print of (not too sure the size they will come out) :D

Another good site with lots of links that might help you is www.under5s.com

Lastly there is a link for a frog food game called ''frog lunch'', which is great for C.D.- M.D.

All the best Carolann

FROG_LUNCH.pdf

frog1.bmp

frog2.bmp

frog_3.bmp

frog_4.bmp

frog_5.bmp

Thanks all very much for all the ideas - I have got some frog spawn out of our pond ready to go in tomorrow.

I do like this half term - it's exciting!!!

hello,

I did some maths. I coloured and cut out some lily pads, adding numbers 1 - 9 ( for preschool - so you could adapt and add higher no.s), then laminated them.

Got the children to sort out some small green frogs ( we got them in a sorting set with pink bunnies and blue something (!!) can't remember other animal), then matched the amount of frogs to the lily pad. Then we extended the activity to adding numbers together if they all jumped from one pad to another. Great fun.

kizzy :D:D

I did this in Maths too. I made large lily pads to go on the floor. The chn then put them into the correct number order.

The first child threw one large dice and the second child stood on that number. They then rolled the second dice, which told them how many jumps forward/backwards to make. They all seemed to really enjoy it.

hello,

I did some maths. I coloured and cut out some lily pads, adding numbers 1 - 9 ( for preschool - so you could adapt and add higher no.s), then laminated them.

Got the children to sort out some small green frogs ( we got them in a sorting set with pink bunnies and blue something (!!) can't remember other animal), then matched the amount of frogs to the lily pad. Then we extended the activity to adding numbers together if they all jumped from one pad to another. Great fun.

kizzy :D  :D

28664[/snapback]

You could try making frog masks or pop-up frogs on straws.

This Little Puffin has a couple of nice frog rhymes.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)