Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Advice Needed Please Xx

hi all,

i am a reception teacher and have a little boy in my class who has come to us working at 22months. he has a one-to-one support. i was wondering if anyone had been in this situation before and how you dealt with it. at the moment he can only cope with 2 hours a day. when he comes in he sits for register and that's all he can cope with. obviously i then need to teach the other children and the one-to0one works with him. do i plan a literacy and numeracy activity daily and then let him play? i have done listening groups with him but he can only focus for 5 mins and is constantly distracted or tries to distract others during this . any advice would be appreciated thanks x

He must be seen to be learning. Obviously at this age all his learning will be through play but he could be exploring the wealth of resources that you have in your classroom at his own level with support to move him on appropriately and to minimise the disruption to the other children.

I think his support person will probably have to take some responsibility for his learning and planning with you overseeing what is going on or it is going to be very difficult for you. Is this possible?

Good Luck.

I had a child like this in my class when I was training. What I did in the end was during the intro on Monday his 1:1 would take him down to the on site nursery to choose resources linked to our area(s) of work that week, but at a more appropriate level. So if we read 'The Train Ride' and wrote journey poems, he set up a brio track just outside the classroom and spent some time talking about the sounds the train might make, where it was going, that sort of thing. I don't know if it was the right thing to do or not, but it seemed daft that he was sitting through a story or some other daily intro and not really understanding an awful lot of it.

HTH!

I had a similar situation last year. My pupil ended up with a statement. I devised a personalised timetable with the support assistant using her IEP targets. We included opportunities for mark making, sharing books, social play, counting and number activities, role play (to encourage her to interact more with her peers) physical (OT) time i.e. throwing and catching a large ball, fine motor opportunities etc. Sounds prescriptive but we also made sure she was fully involved in whole school activities and all child initiated time.

I remember being told by Early Years SENCO that the only targets the child needs to meet are those on the IEP they were more relevant than any literacy or numeracy ones. The child could be removed during your class group work to work with ta on concentration games etc. and then join back in for free play, things that can be accessed at child's level.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)