Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Machines?

Any ideas for a week about machines (linked to transport?) Not happy about doing topics for such a short time but it's beyond my control! ny suggestions much appreciated. Thanx :o

I love this topic as ot is so huge. I go down 2 routes. Robots and machines we use in the house. Maybe if you need to link it to transport, you could use a dustcart and link to rubbish machines and what the machines do. Also the noises machines make, Great!. I could go on, but my daughter and her friend have just demanded that I come and see their picture made out of flannels.

Kate

When we did a transport theme (or was it people who help us??) we spent the best part of a week building a giant fire engine which the children made, and then painted, and then played with in the role play area the following week. It was a challenge storing it away at the end of each session though!

You could make a large-scale machine of almost any description using domestic appliance packaging, and the children enjoy 3d modelling on a large scale (especially when they can get inside to play!).

Maz

We turned our role play area into a "Bike repair workshop", Once the children got over the idea that the bikes were not to be ridden and that they were turned over "To be fixed" they spent ages exploring the workings of the peddles, chain, wheels etc. The thoughtful expression on one girls face was magic, when she was asked " How can you make the wheel turn around without touching it?, We completely dismantled an old one ( squeeked very loudly when ridden). We used "real" tools, spanners and screwdrivers.

Then of course when they were all "fixed" we had a race. :D

Peggy

What a splendid idea, Peggy! We've had a repair shop before, but it didn't go as well as yours sounds to have done. I'll have to have another go!

Sue  :D

28485[/snapback]

Thank very much for the ideas! I would love to do this for a few weeks, but my nursery works in 1 week blocks which I find far too restrictive. What do you all think?

I suppose 1 week blocks are o.k. as long as the planning is flexible enough to "drop" a week or two if the children show that they want further input or extension on a particular topic.

Also, I believe plans should be changed completely if the children "indicate" a particular topic of their own. for example we had planned to do a "Science" topic on materials, floating-sinking etc but the previous week during free choice activities and in role play, the children were extensively playing at being dogs, all child initiated. SO, for the following weeks our plans were scrapped and we focused on "Dogs" and other pets- still covering 6 areas of learning, the science topic was moved to when we would have done "Pets" caring for ourselves and others.

Does this make sense?

Peggy

Makes perfect sense to me, Peggy - I'm all for child initiated learning and planning around children's interests!

I might have trouble convincing the member of staff who had carefully planned the activities for the following week though - how did your staff react?

Maz

We have a 1 year, long term plan, which ensures all 6 areas including all aspects are covered within a year (CLL & MATHS are covered more times than the other areas). Each period (2-3 weeks) has a topic and a focus on one development area ie: Maths. The staff plan MATHS ( aspect 3) within their specific area of play, thus showing the holistic nature of our curriculum. It is reviewed throughout the year and is very flexible. No, the staff don't mind because they know they can use the plans at a later date ( or at least the basics of them- obviously individual childrens development needs may have changed).

Whenever I try to write about planning it always seems so complicated. When I have more time I shall post an example.

Peggy

Peggy I'd love to see an example of that planning, because it sounds like I could work something like that in with the High/Scope curriculum that we're still implementing in our setting. As I'm sure you're aware, the idea that you don't plan with High/Scope is very misleading. It's the topics that I probably wouldn't put in - unless they arose from the children's own interests or from something like a local cultural event. But I like the idea of a format to cover all the 6 areas - unless I've completely misunderstood?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)