Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Symmetry In Reception

Hi there Folks

I'm soon to do symmetry and running out of new ideas... alredy done butterfly prints/prayer mats/drawn other half of picture/experimented with mirrors and played with PC software

has anyone done anything other than the above for teaching symmetry (I'm being observed too so would like it to have that wow factor!!) :o

cheers... in anticipation xD

just a quick thought, what about symmetry in the environment, pictures of brick work, roof tiles, peices of wood with symmetrical grain patterns, plants, leaves, the human face, the body, other animals other than butterflys. wallpaper patterns, georgian window frames, doors, railings, shapes: circle, square,rectangle, triangle etc.

Maybe children could bring items from home, cusions with symmetrical patterns, room designs from magazines- I'm thinking retro designs.

I have also extended the butterfly print idea, which has a wow factor effect.

1. fold paper in half

2. with paint squeezy bottles, squeeze 4 different coloured lines, vertically from the fold.

3. fold paper over and comb from the folded edge to the outside.

4. open and hey presto a magnificent butterfly with colours that bleed into each other.

I will try to attach a picture of one I have done on material ( although the centre went a bit wrong it will give you an idea of what I mean.

Hope these ideas help.

Peggy

butterfly print attached. The result is more defined edges when done on paper, this was just an experiment with material, hence the centre has also been retouched because material doesn't fold very well. On paper the pattern is much better and as you unfold the paper you always get a WOW, from onlookers. Tip, use a dark colour for the 1st line next to the fold ( centre part).

Peggy

post-3604-1112177306_thumb.jpg

Not sure it will give the WOW factor, but I was doing symmetry when I was observed, and after the initial input I took one group outside and we used did symmetry using the childrens body shapes. We put a skipping rope down as our line of symmetry and then children worked with a partner to make symmetrical shapes. We then used different pieces of PE equipment to make a symmetrical pattern. It seemed pretty basic but the advisor liked it - I think it was as much to do with taking the learning outside! Two other groups were making symmetrical patterns inside - lower ability making a simple sym. pattern from a started pattern using pre-cut shapes, - can't remember what the higher ability group were doing - probably making their own pattern and then checking it was symmetrical by using a mirror?? Sorry - brain dead.

Harricroft.

peggy thanks for the illustration :o love the idea of combs... and Harricroft that was a fab idea about using the ropes... you're right about taking the learning outdoors and shall definately try to plan this into the session.

How did you get the children to think of symmetrical patterns using their bodies? did they lay on the floor? did you demonstrate?

would love to find out more if you've time

thanks once again for some cracking ideas

liza - always glad to know ideas we pass on are useful - thanks for that. Yes I did demo a few ideas first, though we had done quite a bit on body shapes in PE so children had some ideas about wide shapes, tall shapes etc.

We've also used Eid cards/Arabic patterns etc. as these use symmetry quite a lot - with the added benefit that you're covering some PSE!! We usually look at these, then put a safety mirror down the centre and notice that it looks just the same.

Another fun idea is to use the children's photographs and use a mirror down the middle of the face to show that faces aren't exactly symmetrical. Don't know whether you could argue the 'mathematical learning' benefits, but sometimes the results can be quite amusing - especially if you include your own.

OH!! If you do the rope session outside DON'T FORGET TO TAKE THE DIGITAL CAMERA .......... I DID AND MISSED AN EASY RECORDING OPPORTUNITY :o

Good luck,

Harricroft

thanks once again for the top tips... I'm trying to gather a few resourses such as pictures of the taj mahah, De vinci's ventruvian man, prayer mat etc so the children can look at the symmetry in these. :)

once again many thanks

liza

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)