Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ratios Of Adults To 4yr Olds On A Walk

Guest tinkerbell

tinkerbell I don't think there is an official ratio it all depends on your risk assessment. However your LA may have a recommended ratio for this age range but really the road, traffic etc all make a difference. Recently in a project I have been in we were taking children to the woods regulalry with a ratio of 1:4 which worked very well and at times was too much! You may wish to look at the Learning Outside the Classroom website to get more info or your LA EVC team should be able to help.

Lorna

LAs do usually issue some guidance but I don't think there is an official formula or number, just the requirement that there are enough adults to ensure the children's safety. For an ordinary visit (zoo, theatre etc) our LA recommends 1 to 6 for foundation stage and KS1 and 1 to 10 for KS2. Obviously this would vary with the type of visit, transport type used and general knowledge about the behaviour/needs of the children going on the trip.

Guest tinkerbell

Thanks

Our LEA says 1to 6 for 6 year olds and younger children should have a higher ratio (it doesn't say what).I will give them a ring.

Tinkerbell

I asked Ofsted what the official ratio was for outings and they said the same as normal as long as you can keep the children safe. i.e if your Risk Assessment suggests you need more staff then you apply the appropriate number of staff for that particular trip and assess each outing on an individual basis.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)