Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help Please Year 1

Hi i have been a member for a few years now, but never been brave enough to post anything. I have completed by FD in Eraly years and now have joined the BEd at year 3, i am on placement at the moment and i could do with some help, i have to plan an activity to do with instructions around the topic of ourselves for a year 1 class. The only thing i can come up with is either gettingd dressed or brushing our teeth. I just wonder if any body has any fab ideas. Many Thanks

How about something they can actually 'do' practically before writing about it - like washing your hands or putting your coat on? I spent a number of years teaching year one and it always worked best if the children could do it before writing it, or even if just sequencing it they can actually try it out and see for themselves if their plan works.

How about something they can actually 'do' practically before writing about it - like washing your hands or putting your coat on? I spent a number of years teaching year one and it always worked best if the children could do it before writing it, or even if just sequencing it they can actually try it out and see for themselves if their plan works.

Yes thankyou for that

Whatever you decide to do, how about first you doing it in completely the wrong order so you need their instructions so by the end of the session you can follow their instructions and achieve. Eg if getting dressed putting shoes on then socks etc.

The other way we've done it is for making toast. Where they make it, then pictorially/write record their instructions and the next person has to follow them successfully to get an extra slice!!

How about making a sandwich?

Make it first (our cook is very good at letting us do things like that in the canteen), possibly take photos to order and discuss - 'talk for writing', then actually record instructions.

Hi Melanie

Aliens are always good for instructions and it can add a bit of 'pazazz' to what is often a quite dull activity.

So... you are going to 'beam' a set of instructions into outer space about one element of how to live as a human - the children can then pick different things so that not everybody has to do 'toast' etc

Always better to talk them first - you could make a podcast and stick it on the school website so parents can log on and download...

Hope this helps

Alistair

Abc does

abcdoes.typepad.com

If you've got access to a digital camera, they could do a series of instruction photos and then add instructions to each.

I had great fun getting a group to make a halloween pumpkin like that once (obviously I wielded the actual knife, they did the scooping etc.!)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)