Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Parent Workshops

Hi all,

Well, we are are at the start of the new term and thinking of what we can improve as always!

I'm am starting my 3rd year in a nursery in a FSU (should say we as I jobshare) and we have a new and very lovely headteacher. The previous one was very old fashioned and not really open to new ideas. !!

Anyway - in the 'old' way of doing things our oldest children took home reading books from ORT - the ones with no words in to start with. We strongly feel that this is totally un-necessary and have stopped doing it!

However, some of our parents who have older ones in school that have been through Nursery are apalled that we are not giving them reading books and letters/word cards to take home.

We'd really like to do some workshops for parents to explain why the children don't need reading books and flashcards to learn to read but we wondered if anyone has done it and what they did/said? What resources did you use?

We really want to convince our parents that we are doing the right thing and not holding the children back but feel a bit like we've got our backs against the wall!!

Thanks in advance,

Rachel (and Clare my jobshare!)

Go for it!

I did a phonic workshop (into early reading and writing) for new parents today.

I did a brief powerpoint explaining phonics and how we teach it, concentrating on Phases 1,2 &3. Explained phoneme, grapheme, digraph, split digraph etc.

I used some resources from letters and sounds and we sang songs from "singing phonics". Introduced "Jamaquack" and played "cross the river", "full circle" "noisy neighbour" and "mystery bag" used wipeclean boards and sound talked words. Showed them our new phonic reading books and explained blending and segmenting for reading and writing. Explained that their children would bring home library books and free choice books and then "scheme" books alongside these when they were begining to blend and segment sounds. Asked them to look for sounds and tricky words etc in flyers, papers anywhere there was print.

We finished with every parent having a wipeclean board and pen because they asked to have a go at sound buttons and they also used the smartboard for "Obb and Bob" and other interactive games from "phonics play" - real and rubbish words!

Several said they loved it and one said she wanted to come back to school it was so much fun!

I'm doing the follow up next week for Reading and Writing.... and the week after for PSR&N.

Edited by Guest

thanks for that - that's the kind of thing we were thinking of doing. Gives me a bit of encouragement that your parents found it useful.

Would love to hear how your other ones go too!

Rachel

Go for it!

I did a phonic workshop (into early reading and writing) for new parents today.

I did a brief powerpoint explaining phonics and how we teach it, concentrating on Phases 1,2 &3. Explained phoneme, grapheme, digraph, split digraph etc.

I used some resources from letters and sounds and we sang songs from "singing phonics". Introduced "Jamaquack" and played "cross the river", "full circle" "noisy neighbour" and "mystery bag" used wipeclean boards and sound talked words. Showed them our new phonic reading books and explained blending and segmenting for reading and writing. Explained that their children would bring home library books and free choice books and then "scheme" books alongside these when they were begining to blend and segment sounds. Asked them to look for sounds and tricky words etc in flyers, papers anywhere there was print.

We finished with every parent having a wipeclean board and pen because they asked to have a go at sound buttons and they also used the smartboard for "Obb and Bob" and other interactive games from "phonics play" - real and rubbish words!

Several said they loved it and one said she wanted to come back to school it was so much fun!

How do you play noisy neighbour and mystery bag and Odd & Bob? Missed those...

I'm doing the follow up next week for Reading and Writing.... and the week after for PSR&N.

Noisy neighbour is a phase 1 letters and sounds game.

Noisy Neighbour eg using the dolls house and small world people

Encourage the children to tell a story about a noisy neighbour. A child makes the

small world people make sounds from inside the house, such as stamping up the

stairs, brushing teeth, snoring etc and the other children try to identify the sound

and ask the noisy neighbour to please be quiet.

There is a rhyme that goes with it too.

Mystery bag is from "singing phonics" to the tune of polly put the kettle on!

Mystery bag what's inside?

Mystery bag what's inside?

Mystery bag what's inside? What's inside?

either you can chose an object, picture card or word (ready differentiation) and sound talk it... eg It's a p-i-g and the children will shout, pig!

Later, you can get a child to sound talk the word.

Obb and Bob are aliens from Pluto who eat words.... obb, rubbish words and Bob, real words So the children have to chose which alien to feed and if they are right the alien burps to show his appreciation..... to much laughter from the children! Its a game from www.phonicsplay.co.uk

http://www.phonicsplay.co.uk/PicnicOnPluto.html

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)