Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Assessing Letters And Sounds

Hi all,

After dipping into this excellent forum for so long, I have finally signed up. I hope this post is in the right place, please correct me if I have got it wrong.

We are currently trying to think of new ideas for assessing Letters and Sounds in Reception/Key Stage 1. Historically we have used assessment sheets at the end of each half term but they are so long winded and boring for both the kids and for us. They also seem pointless as we are taking the learning out of context by expecting the children to read sounds from flashcards, a skill that we feel is reasonably complex and ultimately unfair! We are keen to assess the children in a different, more relaxed way.

I should mention that we organise our phonics into groups across the Key Srage according to ability!

Any ideas are warmly welcomed.

Hi and welcome!

I have tried using carpet tiles which i lay out- correct way up- and the children jump on a letter and tel me it's sound. Boys really like the jumping bit and 1 girl said' this is a fun game.' We get happily side tracked deciding if the letter appears in our names too. It does take time though and i still feel asking what sound a letter makes doesn't really make sense! lol

Welcome to the forum! We assess Letters and Sound v informally during sessions. I have a tick list with children's names on next to me and if we're playing a game I quickly note down how children get on. At the moment we are working through some of the Phase 1 activities so yesterday we played 'I spy' with children's names and I just ticked off who could do this. Over the weeks you get a pretty good idea of who can do what. This is just my class though, not sure how well it would work across the Key Stage!

Make stepping stones out of laminated card with a sound on each one. Choose people to step across the stepping stones to get to lunch or go out to play, saying the sound as they step.

Alternative version, they hold a bunch of the circular cards in their hand and lay themself a trail putting a card down and stepping onto it only if they can say the sound. They get to choose which cards they use so don' t need to embaras themselves!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)