Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Should Reception Class Go Into Assembly?

Is it appropriate for Reception class children (rising fives) to go into whole school assemblies?

We have just taken in Rising 5s for the first time and the Head wants them to go into assembly every day. They last on average for 20-30 minutes and as our school goes up to Year 6, I don't think my class will understand most of what is going on. It is a long time for them to sit and doesn't seem to fit in with the ethos of active learning and continuous provison.

Does anyone know if there are any guidelines on good practice for this that I could show the Head to convince him?

Thank you.

Hi,

I'm not sure if there is specific guidance on assemblies or not. In our school Reception go into assembly on a Monday morning, which is a combination of the head doing theme of the week, and a story teller who is employes to do singing and story telling activities with the whole school as well as groups. The assembly last about 40 mins but my class only stay for up to 20 mins as by then they have had enough! On a Tuesday we do a KS1 singing assembly (one form entry so only three classes) and this lasts about 20mins consisting of a story, a warm up activity and a song. We then don't go into assembly again till Friday's class assembly. So all together my class spend about 1 hour in assembly and they sit very well through it. I thought about them not going into the Monday assebly but we are so isolated as a FS unit anyway so not going would just reinforce that.

I guess it's dependent on the children in the class and the content of the assembly: like you say if it gos over their head's it's not worth it really, but if it's appropriate then why not give it a go. If it doesn't work at least you tried?? Every day is a bit much, perhaps you need to find a way of compromising with your head. Good luck sorting it out :o

My reception children start to join assemblies, with me, towards the end of first half term - initially just our Friday celebration/birthday assembly. Manage to keep them out of other whole school assemblies until almost Christmas and refuse to join in whole school singing (up to Y6) all year. We also have family groups where each teacher has a mixture of rec to Y6 children once a week and we all follow same focus at the same time. My children enjoy this after half term, but it is a much smaller group of course.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)