Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Day-to-day Assessment

Wow!! kids first whole day today! haha forgot just how little they can do at this time in the year! Just trying to get to terms with assessment, has anyone found a more effective day-to-day assessment method other than post-its?!

Do you have a range of paper based assessments also?

We use a plan of the class to map where they go and if they are playing alongside/with others. A general observation sheet which logs everything the child does for a certain amount of time and a few other general ones which may focus on +tive/-tive behaviour or specific things that you want to look at.

I'm not working in a nursery at the moment, but an effective daily sheet we used was like this (sorry I haven't got a copy I can upload!)

A4 sheet divided into four boxes, taking up the full width of the page, one under the other. In each box, there were the following sections:

Child's name

Key Person

Date

Observation

We wrote these "catch-as-you-can" observations onto these sheets, which were in each room pinned to clipboards. You could write four obs on each sheet. At staff meetings, someone would chop them up into the four strips (ie into each individual obs) and distribute them, so that keypersons could stick them into the children's learning journeys, and suggest plans for the following week to build on the obs taken.

If this makes no sense whatsoever, tell me and I'll create one to upload!

We use notebooks rather than post its, which I then read back through before updating profiles (well and at other times obviously). I know post its work well for some people but they just annoyed me!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)