Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Lesson Observation

Our performance management is starting fairly swiftly this year and I have my observation next week!

I am really struggling with what to do for it, I have been told it needs to be Literacy and I need to show some kind of progression. Next week will be the 1st time the children are in full time and I obviously don't want to keep them on the carpet for too long. My original planning for next week involved more 'getting to know' activites and lots of observation so I don't have a Literacy theme for next week as such.

Can anyone help? It is my 4th year however I feel like my brain is still half on holiday mode :o

How about some emergent writing with a focus? In the next couple of weeks I am going to introduce our class toy and encourage the children to 'write' letters to him. Or maybe a letter to the class from a story character that they respond to? Good way to assess quite a few of the FSP points too!

Good luck

Hi

Kathryn's point was a good one and so you should say on planning which points are your focus so you don't cast too widely!

Concentrate on specific PSE, CLL speaking and listening and MAYBE some NLC and that's it!

Seems a bit early for observations I feel, kids don't know whether they are Arthur or Martha! - make sure you get it recorded as part of your baseline assessment!

Jenni

Thanks for the ideas, I think I am struggling because it is so early on in the term. A few more weeks and I would have been fine. I think I am swaying towards speaking and listening and I do have a puppet that I haven't introduced to them yet so I could possibly do something relating to that and ho w to make him feel welcome in the class. Maybe I shall write them a letter pretending its from him and then intro them writing back. :o

Goodness I sympathise. I think I'd breakdown if I was told my performance management was next week, particularly if they wanted me to show progression. I have year one but I feel I'm still getting to know where they are at, never mind moving them on and this is our second week full time. The only place they've made progress is phonics, but even thats not real progress because they'd forgotten (or possibly never knew) half of the sounds the reception teacher said they did so I'm revising that at the moment!

Anyway I just wanted to say good luck! Go with what you think is right for the children at this time of year.

It just mean to do observations in FS this early in the term! I agree - do a focus on S&L with your puppet and have materials avaliable for emergant writing. The usual pen and paper activities as well as sand, gloop, water and paint brushes etc.

Good luck!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)