Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Holidays

Hi everybody Sally W here

I have been to book my holidays for this year at my workplace (private day nursery) When I looked at the calendar The earliest I can have is you will never believe is November!

All the weeks in the summer are completely booked and we are only allowed one member of staff off per week. As we get 20 days holiday per year and we have 16 staff in the nursery I cannot see how how we can all have our holidays. When I have worked in other nurseries we have employed supply staff for three months to cover summer holidays

At the moment our officer in charge is on maternity leave and her deputy is in charge and she follows the company rules

I feel like approaching our director and telling him do you think I ought to and make him aware of the situation?

Any advice welcome.

Certainly sounds as if it needs to be brought to someones attention, unless you are happy to take a long break in November?

Holidays are an entitlement that are meant for your benefit. But as a school teacher I have never had this problem.

I definitely would!

We are allowed two off at a time, but not usually from the same Room. As Susan says, holidays are an entitlement for your benefit. By the time you get to November, you'll be on your knees!! I seriously wonder if the Director wants to risk staff making mistakes because they're exhausted!!

As you have a reasonable alternative to suggest, I should approach your Director with the idea. Good luck.

Sue :D

You have to speak to your director :D

I used to have the same policy at my nursery, but when we increased to 27 staff it just wasn't possible.

Last year i had supply staff for four months to cover the holiday period, but this year i have employed 2 permanent supernumary staff ~ much cheaper!! :o

Your director would probably be shocked that you were expected to take your holiday at the end of the year, us directors don't generally get to hear about these things until it's too late.

(I can only presume all the staff at your nursery get 4 weeks per year, so 16 x 4 = 64 weeks, mmmm not possible is it xD )