Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Literacy Planning

How do you teach your literacy in Reception? What is your daily planning like? Would really appreciate it if anyone wouldn't mind showing me their weekly, daily etc plans for Literacy? Thanks so much :)

It should be integrated within your daily activities. You need to encourage mark making which will lead to emergent writing and handwriting skills--lots of fine and gross motor activities. You need to read and write with the children. You need to teach book handling skills and how a book works. You should have a daily phonics session and if you follow letters and sounds or another scheme, you will be teaching reading and writing.

Dont forget speaking and listening skills and story telling - the Talk for writing model will work well.

Good luck!

• 2 months later...

I plan my daily phonics lesson and I also plan guided reading where all the children are involved in something literacy based my planning for both are on separate sheets of paper in a table format. I also plan my busy board activities for the week which are the activities that the children can choose over the course of the week when not in a focus group (about 12 activities related to topic) there are usually 2 writing type activities for my writing area something in the role play, and there are several other mark making/reading opportunities around the classroom/outside and the listening centre. Again this is presented in a grid format with links to EYFS. At the moment I don't do a literacy plan as KS1 would do and my head seems happy with what I present her with on a monday morning. Hope that helps!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)