Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Tent Tip Needed Please.

I want to put a tent up in nursery for the summer 2 term. Now I am thinking more of a large tent, not a two man thing. Has anyone else ever done this? Obviously I can't peg it down to carpet, so it needs to be self supporting. Would I be better with a frame tent (4 berth size) or a dome type? I don't want children to be able to rip it or push it over. It can't be outside because our outdoor is a main route through school grounds at the end of the day, and it will go walkies.

Sounds interesting and exciting, Tracey but not sure how it would work, arent all tents secured to the ground in some way?

The simple pop-up tents that you can get might be a better option, but they are not very big so depends really on what you want to do with your tent?

I have seen a small, simple wigwam type tent used in a nursery and children really enjoyed this.

Good luck, I hope someone else will have some better ideas!

Hi Tracy

iIdon't have any new ideas only the popup tents which aren't very big. How many children are you going to have in the tent? We have a tent the popup kind which we use as the listening tent inside there is a commer tape recorder which has two sets of headphones. The children can either listen to story books with tapes or they can listen to music. We have set rules that there can only be two children using it at anyone time. This works really well and we haven't had anyone misbehaving or trying to pull it down. Tprobably isn't any help what so ever. I just thought I would share this with you as to how we have used the tent in our Reception class.

I wanted to do holidays as our final topic of the year. I was going to have role play as a travel agents/airport type thing...whichever the kids want. Then i wanted to put up a decent sized tent, with camping accessories. I thought a frame tent would be more stable. I will have to just try it I guess, see what happens. If it doesn't seem sturdy enough it will have to come down.

Sorry Tracy I haven't been much help. You could put your tent in a corner this will make it less likely to get pushed over. This is all I can think of for the moment. If I have any ideas I will be in touch.

I used the Ikea pop up tent one year and it worked well. Once there were cushions and things in it didnt tip up. Once when I wanted something much larger that more children could access I have used is a cheap garden gazebo and put sheeting around the sides that stood quite nicely without being secured to the ground. Good luck anyway sounds exciting

I have a cheap garden gazebo for when we have our role play area as a barbecue. This has 2 open sides, useful to keep an eye on children but also gives them some privacy as well. This is a bit fidly to assemble but we just lift it in each day.It has uprights to we fimly secure a small table to it. The other tent we use is a hollywood pop-up tent which consists of a very large house, tunnel and pop-up garage.We use this all summer so we can have our home-corner outside all the time. It comes with anchor clips but we never use them because we put chairs, table and small kitchen in it and children park/ mend the wheely toys in the garage The gazebo was £9.99 in a cheap garden shop and the hollywood was £49.99 in Toys R Us.

Ikea have a tent for £9.99 we have one it is a two man tent but if sensible up to six children can fit inside. We have used it for an explorers camp in a jungle as part of our minibeast topic and as an igloo covered in a white sheet as part of our topic on the weather. It will stand on the carpet without being fixed to the ground. but would benefit from being kept inplace with a cupboard. We also bought child's camping chairs from Asda for £5 each and a play BBQ for cooking.

For the roof of our jungle we used a camouflage net it looked great just typed what I was looking for into google it arrived 3 days later in the post.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)