Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Assembly

Just wondered if it was usual for FS2 children to attend a daily assembly in a primary school?

I don't about everyone else we have fought long and hard against it. Our assemblies are aimed towards KS2 and not suitable for FS.

I am pleased to say we have now won and don't go daily-

- reception go to KS1 assembly, once a week this is aimed at them with KS1 staff leading and celebrates birthdays and acheivements. This time of year some will stay in early years because they find it difficult to be in large groups.

- nursery go in for very occasional fun assemblies, like dressing the Christmas tree, and again anyone we think will find it difficult can stay in the department.

like Fay I fought against Year R having to go to assembly so that they could be told off for fidgeting!

We now have our own Year group assemblies on Monday mornings, where we 'set the tone' of the week especially in relation to PSE -eg this week I'll be looking for children who remember to say 'please' and 'thank you' at lunch time. We also celebrate good attendance in the previous week, and anything the children have done particularly well.

In the Spring and Summer terms I'll introduce the SEAL topics.

The whole thing takes about 15 minutes, including 150 children comiing into and leaving the hall.

Otherwise we have daily class reflection times.

Assemblies and 4 year olds just don't seem to go together somehow to me!

Mary

Thanks for your answers - I was just nosey about what happened in other schools. We take 6 of our class into KS1 assembly on a rota basis and the whole class in once a week for celebration assembly because they are awarded 'Star of the Week' and their work is shared.

like Fay I fought against Year R having to go to assembly so that they could be told off for fidgeting!

We now have our own Year group assemblies on Monday mornings, where we 'set the tone' of the week especially in relation to PSE -eg this week I'll be looking for children who remember to say 'please' and 'thank you' at lunch time. We also celebrate good attendance in the previous week, and anything the children have done particularly well.

In the Spring and Summer terms I'll introduce the SEAL topics.

The whole thing takes about 15 minutes, including 150 children comiing into and leaving the hall.

Otherwise we have daily class reflection times.

Assemblies and 4 year olds just don't seem to go together somehow to me!

Mary

I like your idea for a Year group assembly.

Have you seen the new puppet video to link with the SEAL 'New Beginnings' on the www.assemblies.org website, Mary?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)