Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Early Years Advisory Teacher

I have applied for a post as an Early Years Advisory Teacher based in Kent, Thant and Dover area. As part of their exciting expansion of an already impressive team, this job will be looking after Playgroups, nursery schools and childminders (not state schools who are already catered for).

Having run my own playgroup/nursery for over 6 years I have had three early years advisory teachers. There was a lot of chopping and changing at the start and a clash of personalities along the way. My question is 'What do you want from your early years advisory teacher''? I know that the three I had seemed only interested in the planning side - foundation stage - Long term - Meduim term - Short term plans and how the needs of the 4+ plus children were being met. Don't get me wrong I am not saying this in not important but they could not really help me in other ways such as policies, group management etc. That sort of help came from the supported help of our local rep from the Pre School Learning Alliance.

So do all playgroups/childminders out there already have an advisor? If so what sort of help, advise and support do you get? Even more helpful is what you as an early years practitioner and childminder really want from your own advisor. Is there room for improvement? What outstanding strengths have you come across.

It would be really helpful to me for background to get a general feel of other peoples views.

Thanks to you all for listening

Happy Easter

Carolann :D

Hi Carolann.

Although I'm now based in a DN, I know where you're coming from because the majority of my experience was in a pre-school playgroup.

I think your problem may have been that until recently there were (or at least, in my area) two support persons - EY teacher and PLA development worker - both concentrating on different areas. Now, it's changed and the support is more spread, with more emphasis on building a relationship along the way. My own Nursery enjoys a splendid relationship with our support, who is a real friend as well as source of information, inspiration and encouragement (and criticism - although always constructive - when we need it!).

She boosted our morale in the build up to our last Ofsted, which came unexpectedly just as we'd changed all the routines and systems because we thought they needed it. Then she rejoiced with us when we received a really excellent report.

That's what I would want from a support !!! Do you gather I'm very happy with ours? And she's a support teacher.

Is that OK?

Sue :)

We have an advisory teacher who has been very helpful over the past 3-4 years we have had her-and fortunately we have had the same one. Planning is always a hot topic as well as observations and assessments but she has seen that what we have in place is working well for us so doesn't really have too much to say, other than giving us support.

She has been very useful recently in helping us move on with a child we have with special needs-in that she has been in to observe him and supported our SENCO at a meeting last week.

I don't feel that she is there to help with policies and the daycare standards-we are supposed to have development workers for that in Stockport but they are a bone of contention and have been for some time. I have always seen her as a support for the educational aspect of our setting.

We have built up a very good rapport with her and she does story time for us and will roll her sleeves up and get stuck in with the children-I actually think she misses the contact with children. We were told recently that they may be changing areas and I would be very disappointed if this happened because we get on so well with her.

I suppose that we are getting what I expect from her. If I think of anything else I will let you know.

Linda

Hi Carolann.

Although I'm now based in a DN, I know where you're coming from because the majority of my experience was in a pre-school playgroup.

I think your problem may have been that until recently there were (or at least, in my area) two support persons - EY teacher and PLA development worker - both concentrating on different areas. Now, it's changed and the support is more spread, with more emphasis on building a relationship along the way. My own Nursery enjoys a splendid relationship with our support, who is a real friend as well as source of information, inspiration and encouragement (and criticism - although always constructive - when we need it!).

She boosted our morale in the build up to our last Ofsted, which came unexpectedly just as we'd changed all the routines and systems because we thought they needed it. Then she rejoiced with us when we received a really excellent report.

That's what I would want from a support !!! Do you gather I'm very happy with ours? And she's a support teacher.

Is that OK?

Sue  :)

28136[/snapback]

Thanks for that Sue

I suppose my reason for asking is that most jobs advertised for early years advisery teachers have a high job spec and that includes knowing about OFSTED, STANDARDS, MANAGEMENT INCLUDING BUDGETS, FOUNDATION STAGE (of course) Birth to 3 matters to list just a few and I was wondering if each group gets that sort of support.

I am so pleased you can call your early years teacher a friend as well and that you taken constructive criticism as a positive thing. It is often easier to see how things are working or not working from an outside point of view. Having an early years advisor who has run his/her own nursery I feel is a great advantage as they know how it feels so to speak.

Thanks for your comments

Carolann

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)