Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Behaviour Management Tips For Reception Please!

Would really appreciate some tips please from anyone on behaviour management. I have a large class (31) and generally they are a lovely group. However, I have about 6 or 7 who can be quite noisy/disruptive on the carpet and will not do what I ask first time. Nearly all of them do, but their compliance is almost lost among those who are noisy/chatty etc. It often takes those 6/7 quite alot of me saying I am waiting etc for them to give me their full attention ( they do in the end but not instantly). Ideally, I would like them all to be silent as soon as I ask them to be – what strategies do you use that work well?

As an NQT, I feel (especially) like I am being judged and want to get it right. Held it together all day at school ( stayed smiling etc) but I have come home crying and very upset tonight feeling like the day wasn’t a success (when most of it was) and wondering whether I am good enough for the job!

Please offer me some words of wisdom or reassurance as right now I am wondering why I spend so many years training!!

Thanks so much

Yellowdaisies x

Edited by yellowdaisies

Big Hugs!

It can be very tough especially when you have a large class. i do hope you have some support.

One of the most successful things i think you can do in the sort of siyaution you describe is to start playing wiggly finger type games, silently, Wiggle your fingers in the air, tap your head fold your arms etc etc, anything so that the others do not join in with them but with you and gradually when the focus of attention is on you and what you are doing they should join in too. You might want to praise the others too as you are doing this--well done jane you are joining in well etc but dont offer the disruptive ones any attention.

You also need to spell out your expectations very carefully and keep repeating how you expect them to behave they will not remember just like that in fact you may still be doing that for some considerable time.

Be fair and be consistent and dont forget to ask for help in school if you need it.

Good luck.

Don't give up. It's always a bit tricky in the beginning.

I tend to sing instructions to the chldren and give them plenty of warning about what will happen next and what I will expect them to do.

It's worth thinking with children about class rules and displaying them so you could refer to the poster when necessary, e.g. It's my right to learn new things so it's my responsibility to listen to my teacher, or something similar.

Good luck.

Big hug from me too Yellowdaisies!

I have been teaching for 14 years and I still sometimes come home in the evening feeling that everything has gone wrong, questioning whether I am right for the job and wondering whether someone else could do it better - so you are not unusual.

Autumn Term is a VERY DIFFICULT one in Reception Class, all Reception Teachers feel the strain and by Christmas are usually wondering if they will ever see the light at the end of the tunnel. You are probably just focussing on one or two things that have not gone quite right and forgetting about the rest of the day when everything did go right. The children will go home, have a good night's sleep and come back to school tomorrow excited and ready to learn. I am sure you will too, once you see their little faces in the morning and they give you their little hugs (if they have started giving you them yet, which I am sure they have), and tell you all their news.

Things take time, you are only learning - just like the children. Try and pace yourself and always remember why you wanted to go into teaching in the first place. Talk to your colleagues about how you are feeling, they won't think any worse of you and it will help you to talk about things.

Behaviour managment strategies are usually ones that you find work for your cohort of children, like the other posts you need to set up your expectations through class rules. Reinforce these reguarly, highlighting children who are following the class rules and rewarding through stickers etc. I also have a little soft toy called "Lola", we introduce her through circle time and she teaches the children to be "good listeners". To be a good listener you need to:

Try to keep quiet

Try to keep still

Look at the speaker

Try to remember what the speaker has said

I also have a set of "chimes" which I will ring say five minutes before I am wanting the children to stop what they are doing. On hearing the chimes the children stop what they are doing, look at me and wiggle their fingers (so that they are not playing with anything and really listening). This then prepares the children for the coming change in routine, so that when I next ring the chimes they know what is expected of them.

Hope this helps and that you have a better day tomorrow - take care

I also have a set of "chimes" which I will ring say five minutes before I am wanting the children to stop what they are doing. On hearing the chimes the children stop what they are doing, look at me and wiggle their fingers (so that they are not playing with anything and really listening). This then prepares the children for the coming change in routine, so that when I next ring the chimes they know what is expected of them.

Hope this helps and that you have a better day tomorrow - take care

I would endorse the five minute warning as it helps children get ready. Fingers, bells, songs etc are all good ways to get attention. I would also spend your time acknowledging the children doing what it is you want them to do so for example 'Thank you Lola for joining in' 'Thank you David for being ready' etc so the focus is on the behaviour you want. This will make you feel better but also sometimes children will behave in a way that gives them attention and they don't mind if it is positive attention or negative so by ignoring them you are denying them the attention they seek, they see others getting attention and will soon behave in a similar fashion.

Grest advice on here as usual and as you are an NQT it is all new to you also. Beleive me we all go through these times at the beginning of the year so don't worry too much.

Oh and remember they are very young!!!!!

Lorna

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)