Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Topic On Growing

Please help.Our topic this term is growing.I am going to change the home corner into a flower shop.Any other ideas? I teach Reception and they area very focused busy group who need constant stimuli and have a love of the outside.Thank you.Any ideas or scientific influences would be relly helpful

Hi

Just come home and have finished for Easter and looking forward to a rest. Our outside role play this term has been The Garden Centre.

We had compost and shingle that the children have loved digging in and transporting in the wheelbarrows.

Also flowerpots and containers which they filled with compost and planted up, using heather, fir and cut flowers bought from Tesco from the reduced section.

They were crysanthumums and they lasted from last Tuesday and were throw out today - amazing. They even stayed fresh over the weekend. The children were very creative.

I bought a set of children sized tools from one of the catalogues and it included a small broom which they have all used to sweep up with and even child sized gardening gloves. I got some great photographs

Hi Joanna

There have been several discussions on growing recently and some about flower shops. Here is one and there is a link already in there to another. If you search the forum using the search button at the top of the page and type in growing, florists shop or flower shop you will find quite a number of discussions.

Linda

Hi Joanna

There have been several discussions on growing recently and some about flower shops. Here is one and there is a link already in there to another. If you search the forum using the search button at the top of the page and type in growing, florists shop or flower shop you will find quite a number of discussions.

Linda

28107[/snapback]

Thank you very much for those links and good ideas.This site never fails to amaze me.It is such an inspiration.

Thanks again...enjoy the holiday.

What about covering butterflies?

You can start with the book The very hungry caterpillar (always a favourite).

Foundation stage coverage

Creative = Printing with veg and fruit - Butterfly printing - caterpiller song (attached somewhere) Make large display of caterpiller sections with different feel effects, eg sand, sticks, crushed leaves, beads, lentils etc etc

Knowledge and Understanding of the World = Growing fruit and veg from seeds - Make your own fruit and veg puzzles - Looking at the life cycle of a butterfly (Some links attached somewhere)

Mathmatical development - Maybe you could have a fruit/veg and flower stall. You could then include weighing scales, bags and do some maths skills, estimating, more or less, counting etc.

Physical development - try movement to music. Have a selection of different types of music from soft to heavy or slow to fast and ask the children to be an animal that matches the music. eg ballet music flying round the room like a butterfly marching music stomping round the room like elephants etc.

Well there is a tiny suggestion hope that helps in some way

Carolann

caterpiller_pictures_3.pdf

Little_Caterpillars.doc

Don't forget to 'Grow your own..'...Butterflies, of course!!

Carol, where are you??? Link this to Nicola Call's posts last year, please - I can't seem to find them!!

Sue  :o

28130[/snapback]

Hi Sue

I'm in North London (working) Renting in Dover, Kent (so hoping the job comes up to save on the travel)

Appears that some one has found that link to butterflies

Carolann

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)