Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Next Weeks Plan Of Action

Hio everyone, just wondering what everyones plan of action is for next week!!! I'm in Reception and was hoping to get some assessments done on basic number, colour and shape recognition. IO really dont want the approach though of each child having a tick bosx of which numbers he / she knows colours etc. Could I do an adult led activity i.e finding numbers in the sand, or sorting into colours etc. Or do you think thats all a little to formal still. Maybe I'm totally wrong and should just pure;ly focus on PSE, would love to hear what you guys are doing out there.

xxxxx

Hi popcorn,

I'm in Reception too and I'm mostly planning to play with and observe the children and just generally get to know them. I will probably try and encourage them all to do a painting so I can get some of their work up, and also to draw a picture of themselves on the first page of their learning diary. I will probably plan some PSRN obs for the following week (something like sorting). I still haven't quite got my room finished so will be in again today! Good luck next week!

Hello Popcorn

First of all I would say - don't panic! There is plenty of time for assessment in the next couple of weeks. If you assess the children this early on you are likely not to get an accurate picture of whta they can do.

There are three adults in the setting that I am supporting at the moment and for the first 2/3 weeks we are all working in continuous provision demonstrating how to use the areas and the general rules and routines.

While we are doing that we have all got small assessment pads and we are recording any of the 'basics' that occur - like colour recognition, numbers, name etc.

Have stuck some planning formats that we are using here including a child initiated planner.

Am also NEARLY completed a point of entry assessment proforma that links development matters to Profile Points and also includes the more 'anecdotal' assessments that we do like name recognition etc...So if you can delay your formal assessment for a week or so I might just have a useful proforma for you.

Alistair

abcdoes.com

Wow thankyou so much Alistaire, this sight really isgreat, and can I just say I am addicted to your blog. Ah my gosh yiou have worked so hard. I am working in reception and running as a unit, the nursery teacher is also a male, loving you guys in Early years. There should be loads more of you. Thankyou so much for all that knowledge and inspiration Alistair.

xxxx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)