Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Inherited Planning

Hello- This is my first time using a forum so hope it works!! I am an NQT in nursery who has inherited rolling planning and topics for the next two years- how can I aim to make it child led and is it ok to just scrap the lot?? I dont want to start on the wrong foot with staff! Any advice will be great! Thanks x

Hi Layjay and welcome.

First, you cannot just abandon what your school does. You can talk to the FS leader/ your mentor/ the HT about how you would like to proceed but it is essential that you know what you want to do and how you want to do it. It is not always a bad idea to have some outline plans that you are working with to give you purpose and focus and if your plans are flexible you can take your lead from the children and move accordingly.

Good luck and have fun!

Hi Layjay and welcome.

First, you cannot just abandon what your school does. You can talk to the FS leader/ your mentor/ the HT about how you would like to proceed but it is essential that you know what you want to do and how you want to do it. It is not always a bad idea to have some outline plans that you are working with to give you purpose and focus and if your plans are flexible you can take your lead from the children and move accordingly.

Good luck and have fun!

Thank you! I like the idea of having some sorting of planning already established it just worries me abit- how is it relevent to this particular group of children when i have not met any of them yet or habe knowledge of what they have experienced already. I want to do the best job that i can so thank you and i will take up your advice and speak to the other staff informally.

Thank you! I like the idea of having some sorting of planning already established it just worries me abit- how is it relevent to this particular group of children when i have not met any of them yet or habe knowledge of what they have experienced already. I want to do the best job that i can so thank you and i will take up your advice and speak to the other staff informally.

Hi there, I and some other new members of the team last year inherited a 2 year rolling plan, and we used it as a guideline, had things going on connected to it, but also had plenty of activities relating to children's interests. We talked about scrapping it, but actually decided at the end of the year that we would stick with it as it seemed to provide a good balance of child's interests and introducing new ideas etc. We didn't stick to it rigidly but it was useful as a guide

HTH

Clare

Hi there, I and some other new members of the team last year inherited a 2 year rolling plan, and we used it as a guideline, had things going on connected to it, but also had plenty of activities relating to children's interests. We talked about scrapping it, but actually decided at the end of the year that we would stick with it as it seemed to provide a good balance of child's interests and introducing new ideas etc. We didn't stick to it rigidly but it was useful as a guide

HTH

Clare

That sounds like the best idea! I will take ideas from it but make sure i keep it fresh and go with the childrens interests- Thank you x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)