Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Topic Title.

I am in year 1, we are using science to lead our topics, to ensure coverage and have chosen the Ourselves/ Senses/ Sound to follow this term. We have the topic title "Marvellous Me" but it didnt really inspire the children last year and having seen the learning journeys from reception feel this could be a little samey to what they have already covered albeit a year ago.

I need some inspiration please!

I am in year 1, we are using science to lead our topics, to ensure coverage and have chosen the Ourselves/ Senses/ Sound to follow this term. We have the topic title "Marvellous Me" but it didnt really inspire the children last year and having seen the learning journeys from reception feel this could be a little samey to what they have already covered albeit a year ago.

I need some inspiration please!

Hi Susan

Doesn't matter what you call it, it is the same old content just wrapped in different coloured paper!

If your assessment has shown you that the children need to cover the elements of the curriculum that you outlined then let the chidlren design the theme and you just thread the objectives into the content.

This is far more of a child initiated appraoch to learning and teaching and will be far more effective - I promise!

Find out from the children what they know now, then ask them what they are into at the moment and then fit your objectives around their interests. I was talking to some Year One Children today who were full of Toy Story 3 (3D) If your children were similar that would be a great motivator for them and get your coverage in!

I have a planning format here that has the 6 areas of learning for FS but it can easily be amended to include NC aswell.

Hope this helps

Alistair

abc does

Thanks everyone!

Im going with the open ended "What is this?".

Alistair, I'd really like to follow your suggestion but I am working alongside an NQT and she needs a bit more direction to start her off, but maybe next term?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)