Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Role Play Area

I normally set our role-play area up as a kitchen at the start of the school year, then it changes according to whatever our mini topics are, or what the children request, etc.

I wondered if anyone has any other ideas for a good one to start with as I find it always looks like a complete tip with all the 'food', etc, just shoved in cupboards....!

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Hi. I think kitchen is a really good role play area to start with: you can find out what the chn already know about food, what their favourite food is, if they know how food is cooked and where it is stored etc. Great for building on prior knowledge and it's very real for them. Apart from literally starting off with a basket of material and seeing what the chn do with it - perfect open-ended to see child-initiated play at its best - it's a great way to start the role play areas off.

Regarding storage - if the food wasn't 'shoved in the cupboards', it wouldn't look such a mess. If you get a few baskets, the children can arrange similar products [vegetables, tins, dairy, packets etc.]. Chn will also suggest that some things go in the fridge so that they don't go bad, so you can discuss where certain produce should/could be stored. In our kitchen area, we have a fridge-freezer, microwave, oven/hob, cupboard for food and washing machine. The chn also see the 'real' fridge-freezer in the staff room when we make ice-lollies and get marg and milk for cooking so they learn where these things go too. If you have so much food that it doesn't fit neatly, put some in storage. Chn like arranging, sorting and tidying but it's an impossible job when there is just too much to sort!

Fluffy Lamb

We also go back to basics every now and again and revive the kitchen (we're full daycare and open year round). We had the same problem with a big mess in the role play kitchen but recently we have really gone for the 'less is more' approach and put a lot of things away. There is plenty to play with, but it is much easier to manage for the children and adults. We also made some labels with pics cut out from supermarket magazines to show children where different types of food lived, e.g. fruit, veg, bread etc.

We have done the same with our sand and water resources - taken lots out and kept the basics which we change and add to as the children need them. This has put a stop to a water tray full of floating, well...everything! :o

Beehive

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)