Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Feelings Tree

Hi,

I've had read about someone doing a feeling tree in their nursery which spounds great. I'd like to know more and hear about children's responses to these if anyone has done one... please.

Also, does anyone have a recommendation of what age range is best engaged in this activity?

Thanks,

Charly

I think I saw this too. I'm pretty sure it was in a recent discussion on floor books, not sure how to post a link though.

Kathryn

We did something similar one year at creche for the children and parents to contribute to. We tied it in with Chinese New Year and made lots of red and gold notes for the parents and children to write on. Quite successful, parents were encouraged to take part and fill the branches. I can't remember how we made the tree, the children all helped so it was a variety colours and textures!

You could try looking up Chinese New Year traditions, I think thats where I got the idea from.

All the best

Mellonie

Thanks Mellonie, I will look the Chinese New Year traditions up :-)

What sort of things did the parents write about on the tree? If you can remember ..

Charly x

We have a I Can Do Tree - I just take a huge branch of my lilac at home, put it in a pot and cut out leaves according to the season for the children to draw something they feel they are good at - riding a bike, being a good friend, drawing etc, the keyperson then writes on the leaf what the child wants to portray and the children hang the leaf on the tree - simple but effective

We have a I Can Do Tree - I just take a huge branch of my lilac at home, put it in a pot and cut out leaves according to the season for the children to draw something they feel they are good at - riding a bike, being a good friend, drawing etc, the keyperson then writes on the leaf what the child wants to portray and the children hang the leaf on the tree - simple but effective

I also used a lilac branch from home to make a New Year's Resolutions tree in January - children wrote their resolution on 4inch square pieces of card , punched a hole and attached to 'tree' with glittery string. We put the branch in a coffee tin filled with sand and a hole cut in the top to support it - the amazing thing was that it bloomed at the end of January!

Mary

• 2 weeks later...

Hi don't know if it helps but saw a post on here ages ago and pinched the idea. Made a tree shape with some thick bendy gold wire and then laminate, and cut out leaf shapes in different colours. place them in corrisponding coloured baskets and then the children and staff can hang a coloured leaf according to how they feel. Also helps with behaviour as well e.g. oh dear that made me sad need to put .... coloured leaf on tree etc.

just an idea

Hi Johanna,

I read something similar to that too. That was my intention to try in my nursery.

What age are the children you have tried this with?

Hi Johanna,

I read something similar to that too. That was my intention to try in my nursery.

What age are the children you have tried this with?

The children in my setting are between 2 and half and 4, some manage it better than others but everyone can access it in some way I have found.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)