Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help With Attachments

Steve please help, when trying to attach ( less than 1000kb size) I get this error message, what do I need to do, please?

The total filespace required to upload all the attached files is greater than your per post or global limit. Please reduce the number of attachments or the size of the attachments.

Peggy

Peggy,

I posted about this yesterday when I found I couldn't attach something either. If you look in My Controls there is a section marked 'Managing attachments'. You'll probably find that you are at more than 100% like me. xD I started to delete some of them but realised that if you delete them they are no longer available on the forum. :o Not that most of my attachments are that important in the greater scheme of things but it means that threads no longer make sense. :D

Thanks Beau, I'll try that. Of course your attachments are important, if I come across any deleted ones that I would need, be assured I'll PM you for it :D

Peggy

I've deleted all attachments in My Controls, added just one pic to a post and now my Global limit is nearly full. :o Help.

What is the best method of reducing the size of my pics. I use Photodeluxe 4, I reduce size of pic to 5cm then convert them to a GIF format. However they still seem to be 600+kb in "properties" size.

Peggy

Hi chaps -

You've managed to zero in on the problem Peggy - your beanstalk pulley image weighed in at well over half a MB in size which is huge in web image terms. I've removed the overall limit for you for the moment, but long term it's a much better solution to figure out how to reduce the image size. You should do this by reducing its resolution by whatever means your software allows you to do it. I'm not familiar with your software I'm afraid but it will almost certainly allow you to do this.

It's not enough just to reduce the physical dimensions of the image though. If an image is 5cm * 5cm but is at 300 dots per inch (ie print quality) then it will still be a big file.

It's not really a problem for the site in terms of storage size, but you will find that people on a slow internet connection will think their computer has frozen when they try to access your images! :)

I'll try to put together a little more information when I get back from holiday, but for now Cyprus is just too inviting...