Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Evidence

I need some help.

I went on a course a couple of weeks before term ended and they were talking about children in Reception class going to assemblies, having certain playtimes and having set P.E lessons. Their view was that all were not necessary and stop the children having uninterrupted CI activity time. I was in favour of what they were saying and they mentioned that there was some information on the DCSF website which backed up their argument.

I am hoping to cut down on the number of assemblies we attend (currently 4 a week) and some of the set playtimes but my Head will need to see some information before she agrees.

Does anyone know of anything that I can read and give to her to support my ideas?

Thanks

http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/node/242798

"Practitioners cannot plan children’s play, because this would work against the choice and control that are central features of play. Practitioners can and should plan for children’s play, however, by creating high-quality learning environments, and ensuring uninterrupted periods for children to develop their play."

Interesting, although what about the legal requirement for collective worship - is it just that the school has to offer it (i.e. all the other classes go) rather than all children have to attend (unless their parents have exercised their rights to withdraw them).

Another thing would be to see if you can find other settings that do this - could the trainer point you in the right direction?

http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/node/242798

"Practitioners cannot plan children’s play, because this would work against the choice and control that are central features of play. Practitioners can and should plan for children’s play, however, by creating high-quality learning environments, and ensuring uninterrupted periods for children to develop their play."

Super. Thanks for that. I knew I had seen something but just couldn't put my finger on it.

Just to clarify, I am not trying to get rid of all assemblies or playtimes etc but just wanted it to be a bit more relaxed. We currently have 4 assemblies a week. We have singing practice, merit assembly, KS1 assembly and whole school assembly. Each one is around 35 to 45 minutes and they take up a lot of time during the morning. I am hoping to occasionally miss a few to give the children more time in the classroom.

Edited by Guest

I am of the understanding that reception children do not need to attend assemblies although don't have evidence for you! I'm not sure about the whole collective worship thing - I think as long as you do some reflective time within class maybe at the beginning or end of the day that will satisfy that. I personally don't feel it is appropriate for reception children to sit for as long as 35-45 minutes so totally agree with you about trying to relax your attendance! Really it doesn't seem right tht KS1 should have to sit that long either!

I managaed to persuade my head last year to let us attend less assemblies and it wasn't easy. Now they just go for singing assembly on wed and celebration assembly on friday. We don't go out to afternoon play and I am not going to send them out for morning play everyday (will have to on the day I do duty). I have felt that this has really made a difference in the amount of uninterrupted child initiated time we can offer children. if children have free flow acces to outdoors then there is no need to stop to go out to playtime.

Good luck!

Interesting, although what about the legal requirement for collective worship - is it just that the school has to offer it (i.e. all the other classes go) rather than all children have to attend (unless their parents have exercised their rights to withdraw them).

Another thing would be to see if you can find other settings that do this - could the trainer point you in the right direction?

Collective worship can be saying prayers at the end of the day it doesn't have to be a whole school assembly

http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/management/at...lectiveworship/

Collective worship can take place at any time in the school day and the whole school does not need to get together at the same time. Collective worship can be organised into form groups or year groups or whatever is appropriate for the school.

Our reception and nursery children never have set playtimes. We have our own outside area so they have continuous access to it. Later in the year reception start going to singing assembly with KS1. But we have own own good work assembly during our first group time every friday just for FSU it normally lasts 15 minutes.

We dropped set playtimes last year and it made a huge difference to the time the children had for CIA. We found it really beneficial to all except the KS1 staff who had to do extra duties!! Because we don't have full time TA (there are 2 reception classes) we had to forgo our break but found it was still worthwhile doing! We also don't have to attend all assemblies just go to special ones and achievement ones so have pretty much our own timetable all day. Yes a very supportive head!

As already mentioned by a few people there can be an issue regarding dties. Perhaps it might be worth making it clear to the head that you are still willing to take your children out when it is your turn to do duty so that other staff aren't being left with extra work.

As already mentioned by a few people there can be an issue regarding dties. Perhaps it might be worth making it clear to the head that you are still willing to take your children out when it is your turn to do duty so that other staff aren't being left with extra work.

that's exactly what we do, I found that as long as it wasn't putting on other people then it was a kind of middle ground. I intend to tackle the issue again and hope to drop the playtimes altogether. With a bit of evidence that the days with no playitme is better, it should be easier to arrange!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)