Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How Do You Do Your Initial Assessments?

Hi,

My question is just as the tiel says.

Do you have a set way of doing it or certain activities you have out over the first week? I have only done 2 terms in Reception and have not done a 'start' yet. I only know that when I arrived in my current position the on entry assessment was very inadequate.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Hi,

My question is just as the tiel says.

Do you have a set way of doing it or certain activities you have out over the first week? I have only done 2 terms in Reception and have not done a 'start' yet. I only know that when I arrived in my current position the on entry assessment was very inadequate.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

I know everywhere is different but I'll share what we do- which works well enough for us. We complete the profile just before half term. We focus our assessment on points 1-3 on each scale, because 'average' (whatever that means!) is a score of 3 at the start of reception year. Looking at the points, some you know you will just be able to say yes or no to after working with the child for a few weeks, other points you know you will need to plan specific activities/provision for in order to observe/collect evidence for. When we plan we make sure that over the first few weeks we will cover all the necessary points, and ensure that an adult will be observing these activities in order to complete the profile. Hope that helps!

I also do the same as this so my pre-entry data is actually the whole of the first term - i was recommended to do this and have done for the past 2 years :o

I do a similar thing, but over the first half term (my LA collects 'entry' data, which is actually Autumn A data, after Oct half term). Most evidence is from observations during this time, and general knowledge of the children, but for some things I do do some 1:1 activities (such as numbers they recognise, any sounds they already know, etc) - naughty bad person!

Good to hear doing the same thing too. We look at points 1-3 we too have to give numbers to LA we use target tracker adn this gets filled in. The only one that is the exception is the numbers as the children can come in quite high as it is easier to observe and achieve these than any of the other profile points

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)