Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Where Can I Find?

Be very careful with stamps on hands. At a previous school, I stamped 'Brilliant!' on a pupil's hand .... the next day it looked like I'd branded him. The boy had very sensitive skin (we later realised) and the ink and the word 'brilliant' was left on his hand for ages - took about a week until it fully healed! I've worked at schools where it's part of the policy not to stamp children.

Fluffy Lamb

good job I didn't stamp - 'Learning Objective not met' :-))

I too have had children with sensitive skins and parents who complained because the stamps didn't rinse off, and parents who complained because their children didn't want to wash, they collected all their stickers and saved them.

Now we rarely use stickers as a team we work hard on intrinsic motivation.

I too have to add a word of warning about stamps on hands for children. As someone who finds it difficult to wash stamps off my own skin (they stay on for at least a couple of days no matter how I scrub and what soap I use) I wouldn't recommend this as a way of rewarding children for this reason alone.

I know opinion is divided on the use of stickers so I'm always interested in people's opinions. I actually went on a course recently where a child psychologist was talking about rewards for children and saying that actually stickers were great rewards to use because they had no value. Their only value is the collection of praise when adults go "ooh you've got a sticker, what's that for?" and the child gets their good behaviour reinforced over and over again. She was of the opinion that you can't give too many stickers! I have to say that I do use them myself, but I do worry that it's encouraging the children to only behave for a reward.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)