Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

C10 Keq

paddywack

hi everyone paddywack here,I am really struggling with c10`s ke questions am I being really dense or has anyone else had problems with them? I have got to no19 and hit a brick wall I am going mad trying to write the answers or find the right words!!!!!Can I do this or will I pull my hair out I want to send it of to my assesor but agghhhhh!!!! :(xD:o

The whole point about children at this age is that they learn so much from playing. The key as adults is chosing the types of activities we offer so that their play is also educational. :)

For instance how can a child learn that water turns to ice and that when it gets warm the ice will melt? We could sit them down and tell them but they're more likely to remember if they can actually see it in action. Let them play with ice in the water tray. Let them experiment putting ice cubes in different temperature water. What happens when we put salt on it? Take them outside on a cold day and look at the frozen puddles and 'feel' how cold the air is. Think about the number of different activities you might plan in your setting to 'teach' children about the world around them. The more hands on the better!

Me again hoping someone can help -- How can you introduce the following concepts;physical,relational,time and number? Why might some concepts be more difficult for children to understand - would this be because of learning difficulties?

Hi, Paddywack

I don't have my file here, my internal verifier got it at the moment but I can remember some stuff. I was stuck with thise but eventually got through them and unit was sined off.

19.- If child play with natural material( sand, soil, water.....) what does it descovering? Relating wet with water, explore splashes, recal for the rain.

Snow-cold, frozen, white, melting. Child will first observe what happening with snow, than will tuch it and continue to explore. It will try to predict does snow going to melt and become water, etc.

Just pick one of natural recources and explaine, that is all they asking.

Hope this will help you :D

Sorry for spelling, STEVE still didn't put spell check :o

Children usually do not have sense if Time till about 4 years old. They also have to have vocabulary to tell the time and understand sequnce events.

Lots of activities need to be done with children before they grasp numbers.

They also have to be able to have and understand mathematical vocabulary

( bring me 3 spoons).

Children wouldn't understand physical force till they don't experience it themselfthrough experiment led by adult who will explaine and support children with suitable language for task

Children need to explore (again) and adult need to give them language which will help them to understand (positional language)

This covering your 21 and 22

For a child to learn a concept, the context has to be relevant to them.

ie: Concept of Ice: As previously detailed, if however you showed pictures about polar bears in antarctica, on an ice cap, this wouldn't mean anything to them unless they've been there. ( although if handled well, with older children, you could develop their imagination, alongside concrete "ice" experiences)

Time is an abstract concept, it is not accessed through any senses -sight, sound, touch, smell, taste.

Learning through using as many senses as possible enables better assimilation and accomodation of concepts. And I agree that language helps this process too.

Peggy

Yes I think its confusing I think Iam doing really well for a couple of questions then it all goes horribly wrong!!!!!I feel as if I shouldnt be asking for help but someone said you cant always learn on your own and it helps to have someone else`s brain power aswell , I just feel as if Iam cheating sometimes asking someone else!!! paddywack

Paddywack,

Think about how the children play in an imaginative way and the sorts of resources we might provide for them. What would happen if a boy decided to put on the pink tutu and one of the adults told him he would look like a sissy? Or a girl pretends she is mending the car or doing some DIY and is told that that is a man's job. What can you do to make sure that these sorts of stereotypes are not reinforced in terms of the resources you offer, the games and activities you play? :)

Agree with Beau and as well as resources, games, activities, stereotypes are re-inforced by "attitudes" and children will quickly pick these up, ie: if boy wears a tutu and the adult smiles or laughs, he will notice. Also peer pressure, if children tease him. It is important to have discussions with staff as to how you would sensitively tackle these attitudes from staff and children, preferably before they are shown.

Good luck, sweet dreams :)

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)