Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Dissertation Topic On Circle Time

Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone has any ideas for a dissertation question based on Circle time? I have read a lot around the positive impact of circle time, however feedback from fellow practitioners is mixed as to how it is used effectively. Ideally i would like to focus my research around the children in my class and especially the ones who do not seem to enjoy circle time or want to participate, however if anyone has any ideas i would be most grateful as i need to narrow down my research to one particular aspect of 'circle time'

B :o

I looked at gender differences during circle time for my dissertation !!

Gender differences is what i was thinking to begin with as i had a few boys in my class who did not seem interested in 'circle time' at all and noticed they become much more restless, if you have any information or pointers for me regarding reading materials i would really appreciate it, i was also thinking of looking at the impact in different settings :o

Gender differences is what i was thinking to begin with as i had a few boys in my class who did not seem interested in 'circle time' at all and noticed they become much more restless, if you have any information or pointers for me regarding reading materials i would really appreciate it, i was also thinking of looking at the impact in different settings :o

How about looking at personal, social and emotional development, confidence in speaking in groups, attention spans, childrens vocabulary and understanding?? Not sure if thats quite what your looking for?!

• 2 weeks later...
I will see if i can find my notes........it was a long time ago that I did it!

I would really appreciate that Judie, any help and advice even if it was along time ago would be much appreciated, i have been reading Marion Dowling's book on PSED and it has helped me decide i definitely would like to focus on Circle time and possibly gender differences and practitioners viewpoints in particular.

Kind Regards :o

Bernadette

sorry I can't find my notes, possibly in loft!!!

I did my degree with OU and quite likely used their books but was over 10 years ago so can't remember titles.

I made a coding frame and observed 4 circle time sessions

I looked at interactions: how many times boys/girls interrupted

who teacher directed questions at and who answered them.

think my focus was on levels of distruptions and under achievement from boys in the classroom which was very topical at the time

I am racking my brains and this might not be right but major theorists were possibly bandura /maccobi/black??

remember also coming across big study about differences between circle times when led by teachers and TAs

hope this helps a little if only to get you thinking!!!

judie

sorry I can't find my notes, possibly in loft!!!

I did my degree with OU and quite likely used their books but was over 10 years ago so can't remember titles.

I made a coding frame and observed 4 circle time sessions

I looked at interactions: how many times boys/girls interrupted

who teacher directed questions at and who answered them.

think my focus was on levels of distruptions and under achievement from boys in the classroom which was very topical at the time

I am racking my brains and this might not be right but major theorists were possibly bandura /maccobi/black??

remember also coming across big study about differences between circle times when led by teachers and TAs

hope this helps a little if only to get you thinking!!!

judie

Thanks Judie for that, it has got me thinking, and if you do stumble across anything or remember anything else let me know.

Thanks!

Berni

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)