Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Assessors Question

Hi,

My assessor has set me a question on c5;

How would you help a child who spoke little english to understand and to make himself understood when interacting with yourself and also with the children during activites?

My anwser was keep eye contact.Show the child what it is we are going to be doing .speak slowly and clearly.Use hand questures,make sure they can see you at all times.Use pictures.

She has asked me to add a bit more about how you help the child to internet and play with other children.Any ideas?

Cathy

What about you plann activities for this child where you will be able to help child to gain new words ( positional and descriptive language). These are the words where child is usualy stuck. When my daughter started preschool she didn't speak word of English. But after about 2-3 months her English was anbelevable.

She is 7 1/2 now and she is in top group in school, she speak better than me.

I am not sure about the end of question....... :o maybe you explain older children that they should help this child through the day, sometimes child can understand other child better than adult. Maybe plan group work, where child is included together with everybody else and can just follow other children.

Or at first, let this child play where he can do by his abilities, like building bricks, sand, water, paint and other activities where child can't go wrong.

This are just my sugestions. Hope somebody else will anser you this better. :D

Hi There,

Vaguely remember this from my NVQ3. Have you included seeking additional support from the community, perhaps a family member may help to interact initially with the child and provide some basic language. include respect for the child's culture etc, hope i,m not teaching my granny to suck eggs. If this dosen't help or you need ideas for another question or unit just shout out. :o

Hi,

My assessor has set me a question on c5;

How would you help a child who spoke little english to understand and to make himself understood when interacting with yourself and also with the children during activites?

My anwser was keep eye contact.Show the child what it is we are going to be doing .speak slowly and clearly.Use hand questures,make sure they can see you at all times.Use pictures.

She has asked me to add a bit more about how you help the child to internet and play with other children.Any ideas?

Cathy

27760[/snapback]

Hi

maby you could add books and activities that represent the childs culture and mother tounge language.

Maby you could learn a few key words of the childs first language, for example welcome the child in their language on some days. Parhaps even ask parents if they know a rhyme that the whole class can learn . :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)