Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Individual Child Planning

Yes I know its planning again one day I will be able to have a post that doesnt mention this god awful subject!

Can someone advise the process and if possible a template that you use for individual child planning and how this links into the settings planning

We

1 Complete a summary of next steps and possibe experinces to cover the steps for each child each half term .

We are having trouble with

a. how to show this and feed it into our weekly planning.

b. How many times to be target/focus on each child each half term

Some keyworkers feel that they should be the ones supporting the next steps while others feel all staff should holistically play with the children and aim to cover steps

Please help- hope this makes sense?

thanks sharon

We compile the ILP information for each child (submitted by the key person) onto a sheet of A4 that is then given to each member of staff, this enables all staff to see what evidence is needed for every child this is re done every 6 weeks. On the short term planning we record children's interests that are then fed into the next days plans. It would not work for us to have the key person being the only one collecting evidence of development. But everyone works differently and we keep amending how we plan and collect! :o

We compile the ILP information for each child (submitted by the key person) onto a sheet of A4 that is then given to each member of staff, this enables all staff to see what evidence is needed for every child this is re done every 6 weeks. On the short term planning we record children's interests that are then fed into the next days plans. It would not work for us to have the key person being the only one collecting evidence of development. But everyone works differently and we keep amending how we plan and collect! :o

Thanks for your reply So your A4 sheet has all the children on it. (We have 50 children)- yep we used to use a matrix which had six areas along the top and childrens name down one side so we could go back to this (thinking aloud!!)

Short term plan- do you pick x amount of children each week to focus on? When you are planning for each child are you aiming to meet an area in particular by doing an activity or by providing resources or?

SorryIm asking so many probably simple! questions but I am so confused I just need to get something in place and things right in my mind its driving me mad (Literally!) Based on what you have said we seem to be nearly there- maybe Im just worrying we are doing enough!

Also do you plan to cover an aspect from each area of learning each week as a whole setting or is your planning purely based around the individual children.

I do appreciate your reply thanks again

I don't currently have individual sheets for individual planning but currently looking a PLODS which can be found on the EYFS disk

My planning though covers all area of the playgroup, I then list what resourcs are available to the child in that area and if it's child initiated then I use a red pen or blue pen if staff have selected the activity/resources. This works for us. As with regards to the linking the child's interests into the planning then I tend to stick to the same area, for example, water tray with ice in it. This went in blue as it was adult initiated however I recorded which children accessed it and what resources they used to melt the ice. One child stayed there all morning so I just repeated the ice over and over again until he lost interest. We discussed how ice melts and over the period of 5 weeks he experimented using his own ideas to melt it, he even asked for salt as he had saw dad pour in on the path (this was done during the cold weather) I then started to add objects to the ice and all children accessed it just some more than others

It's impossible to plan for all children so I tend to collect obs and then go with a majority in area/subjects etc..

Thanks for your reply So your A4 sheet has all the children on it. (We have 50 children)- yep we used to use a matrix which had six areas along the top and childrens name down one side so we could go back to this (thinking aloud!!)

Short term plan- do you pick x amount of children each week to focus on? When you are planning for each child are you aiming to meet an area in particular by doing an activity or by providing resources or?

SorryIm asking so many probably simple! questions but I am so confused I just need to get something in place and things right in my mind its driving me mad (Literally!) Based on what you have said we seem to be nearly there- maybe Im just worrying we are doing enough!

Also do you plan to cover an aspect from each area of learning each week as a whole setting or is your planning purely based around the individual children.

I do appreciate your reply thanks again

We only have 35 children so are not as busy as you at the moment however this may change when we go to full time. We use to plan to meet all areas of learning for each child every six weeks but felt this was unachievable and meant we spent far too much time worrying about whether we had gathered evidence for each child on each area etc etc. So now we focus on about 3 areas that the key person feels is lacking in evidence.

We do not focus on individuals each week and we certainly do not plan for every individual child every week, that would be impossible and not necessary according the EYFS training. Staff note interests on the STP combined with knowing what evidence the key person needs which is highlighted when collected as being ILP evidence.

As most activities can enable you to get most areas of learning covered it's just a matter of knowing what needs collecting and if that child takes part in your activity trying to collect it.

This is how we do it and in our recent ECERS thought this was a good way to collect evidence and feed into the plan do review cycle. Finding a balance is difficult but we were praised by the ECERS for the way we had adopted a free flow play setting.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)