Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reception Reading Schemes

Hi all.

New member so hello!

I have taught in Nursery class for 3 years and moving to Reception in September. Any advice on good reading schemes, key words etc? We currently use Ginn 360, 'Look, In the Garden, Here,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, etc!

Thanks in advance :o

The main thing now is letters and sounds which tells you how and which order to teach phonics and tricky words. Guided reading seems to be the in thing where books are colour banded. I like the Collins Big Cat, Alphakids amongst others. Also good to include some phonic books too like Floppy phonics from ORT. We are encouraged to use a variety of books including information books! Is that the sort of thing you were looking for? :o

We have a mixture of books: Floppy's Phonics (these are my favourite I think and they do fiction and information books), Jolly Phonics Read and See (children love these as they sound out a word or sentence, depending on the level, and open the flap to see if they were right - however, parents often complain as there aren't many words in them xD ), Collins Big Cat Phonics (though I have rebanded some of the yellow/blue levels as to me they are more difficult than the rest we have at that level, which fit with L+S). Words and Pictures phonic books too.W also have some others I think.

I took great delight in 'filing' :o our Ginn 360 books a few months ago, having not used them for at least 5 years as they don't fit with L+S - I had good intentions, and thought I would go through them and just put them in with a higher colour band - but by the time they would have the word recognition and phonic skills needed, they would be ready for far more words on a page - so I 'filed' them!!

Thanks for your advice. I will look into these ranges. We do letters and sounds and in septembelr i am going to send home sets of key and tricky words. Do you send key words home? Think I have seen the collins ones in our school library, i'll be in there tomorrow for a nosy and borrow!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)