Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Must Should Could

Hi there, hearing alot about practitioners adding the 'must, could and should' into their planning. Would love to get it up abnd running for next term. Is anybody doing that with their reception class, and are you finding it useful. If anyone has an example of planning that includes that criteria, please could you post it on here, i would be most grateful

xxxxx

Our school used to be an ISP school, don't actually remember what that stands for exactly! But all classes had targets displayed for reading, writing and maths with must, should and could being the three levels of targets. But... our reception class never used it as a display and it was never really a major focus in planning.

It was good when I worked in KS2 as the children were able to identify their own targets, but I don't think they make such a big deal of it now. Our KS1 classes stil use the format, but I don't in my class.

Sorry that that's of no help to you what-so-ever! I'd be interested to hear what others are doing?

My KS1 and KS2 classes use it for their targets too. In terms of reception I don't really see it appropriate. I don't use it in my planning, I tend to use different objectives (taken from the development matters) for different groups, for example my HAPs maybe working on using simple punctuation in their writing, whereas that would be totally inappropriate for my LAPs who would be using initial sounds/mark making etc.

x

Guest Pebble123

We have to do this in our school including the FS but I dont feel it works, how are the children supposed to remember their reading, writing and maths targets ? We do them because we have to but they are not useful at all. Sorry thats probably not much help !

Guest LornaW

This is not appropriate for Fs classes. Even in the ISP - Intensive Support Programme - the targets were for the adults NOT for the children. ALL areas of learning have the same weighting in EYFS.

Lorna

Thankyou all, i will abandon tha iea then. Wht you say does make sense and I can see quite clearly now, it wouldnt work

thankyou

xx

I do use them but it might be for any area of learning, depending on the focus for progress. I have them on display in child/parent friendly speak but next to my display I have talking tins that have the target recorded on them. They are colour coded to match the targets and the children will come up and press them to hear the target. They were most successful in my writing area with targets such as I must have a go at mark making all by myself or I should be able to write my name. Children loved pressing them and reminding each other in the mark making area during activities. I don't put them on my planning unless I am specifially working towards them. My first term targets are always PSE ones for the settling in period. I don't make a big fuss over them but it was a whole school approach so I had to be part of it but did it in a way that was appropriate for my children.

Edited by Guest

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)