Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Read, Write Inc.

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone uses the Read, Write inc. approach to literacy/phonics. I have heard rumblings about it being brought in at our school for the whole school, and don't know how this will affect my timetable and ethos in Reception. At present we use Letters and Sounds which I think is great, and by the spring 2 we split into groups which could include some from Yr 1/2 and some of our more able go to a higher phase. It is working really well and the 20 mins phonics fits in ok on a daily basis. I don't know much about Read Write inc, but have heard that it is an hour per day! This is really scaring me! How will I get the rest of my day to day stuff in, including lenghty Child Initiated play? Help, can anyone put my mind at rest???????

Thanks Liz x

I personally hate Read, Write Inc. The whiteboard resources are fantastic for learning the sounds and the kids love them, but the writing side of it is very workbook based and very rushed. I've never yet seen it used in a way that actually suits the majority of the children in a class or school. You are supposed to split into ability groups for it, but yes it does take much longer than just phonics, an 45 minutes or an hour sounds about right from what I've seen. I really don't think it's at all suitable for reception and it's quite old fashioned in my opinion. Perhaps others have a different view though!

Actually it half reminds me of the old Ginn system of reading books and workbooks, but the reason I used to love them when I was younger is in my class we were put into groups and just left to get on so it was completely independent of any teacher input! Great for me as I was one of the higher ability readers in the clas, but not so great for the lower ability (who I think actually probably got adult support every time we did it, thus taking away the independent side which is what I liked!)

Hi we use Read Write Inc phonics (including the RWI reading books) in my school. RWI is aimed at year 1 and beyond therefore I was advised at the RWI training to adapt the suggested activities to fit into my reception timetable-i definitely dont teach phonics for an hour a day. Basically I begin by teaching set 1 sounds and supplement with phase 1 letters and sounds activities. Once the children have been taught set 1 we assess all children and split the class into groups accordingly e.g children who need set 1 reinforced, those ready to learn set 2 or begin on the ditties etc. It sounds complicated at first but once your get to grips with the handbook and get proper training from school it is not so daunting! As stated in the previous post there are workbooks that the children can use but we feel in our setting that they did not fit in with our early years ethos so we dont use them! Plus the children make fantastic progress and really enjoy their success.

Edited by Guest

We use RWI through our school too. I'm in Nursery, so we just very informally introduce Set 1 letters as part of letters and sounds.The reception children start doing it as a class which, at the beginning of the year, is about 20 minutes. After the first term they are assessed and then split into groups according to ability. As the children move on they do spend longer - usually 45 minutes (although there is a group of very bright children who are in a much higher group and sometime spend longer).

I know that the reception teacher has found it a bit too formal and mundane and has adapted it to suit the children. She does feel that it has taken over a bit and that there is less time for other things.

The children have made good progress but it is very structured and needs adapting as with many schemes!

Good Luck

Green Hippo x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)