Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Assessment Early Years

Hi guys, quick question.

When in a whole class teaching input, an objective might be (C4 Understanding 2 groups as addition) and the majority of the class have achieved that objective, & you know that through observation and listening to the chn in their play. Well what about the other children who still need support & one to one help ? In EYFS is it ok to put them in ability groups for PSRN, CLL PHONICS etc. I would think that would be easier because you are tailoring each child individual needs. But that sounds a bit too like year 1-6.

Would love to hear your views on this one, Ill have 28 in my class next yr and one full time Nursery Nurse.

xxx

Do you not have 'must', 'should' and 'could' on your planning. Every child must 'do' 'learn' 'communicate' such and such, some children 'should' do such and such and a few children 'could' do such and such. That way every child accesses the same activity but can learn at different levels. That's my understanding anyway. :o

I absolutely think its ok! I'm in reception and couldn't imagine not delivering my adult led tasks in ability groups. This means I can do do addition/counting much more practically for my LA children and really extend my HA children etc. I differentiate this way for CLL and PSRN. I tend to differentiate for CD/KUW etc on output, as in what i expect from the children, the childen will work in mixed ability groups for this.

If we are doing a role-play CLL activity then I tend to put them in different groups so groups have a mixture of ability and confident children in.

Not sure that this would be appropriate for nursery though. You would probably plan for specific children and call those that have similar next steps to - maybe you just extend/develop through play. I do this too. x

Thankyou both for your replies, really useful. I think I need to look at some different planning proforma's to get a better idea. Thankyou KST aswell for clearing my mind about ability groups, it seems t make sense. Will look into the must, Should could aswell Sienna. Would it be possible for you to show an example of your planning with 'must, should and could' please. Any examples would be much appreciated.

from a very excited NQT who can not wait to get started on my very own Reception class.

xx

Will look into the must, Should could aswell Sienna. Would it be possible for you to show an example of your planning with 'must, should and could' please. Any examples would be much appreciated.

I'm not a teacher yet, I've just started teacher training...I'll ask one of my colleagues if I can upload planning on here, if not then I'll provide an example of must, should, could. I have a science exam on Thursday so I'll get back to you. :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)