Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pre Interview- Observation For An Activity Urgent

-hi All i need some help. I have been asked to attend a setting for an observation on Monday for twenty minutes.I am expected to prepare an activity for a group of five mixed ability, Reception children. The focus of the activity should be CLLD.The job that I am applying for is a nursery nurse post .

I have no idea what to do. I have emailed the school to say that I will email the activity plan and learning outcome intentions prior to Monday. I dont know if its a good idea to have done that but I feel that the team that will observe me should know what I aim to present and achieve.Should I have done this?

What kind of activity should I do and should I differientiate it?As I am sort on time and resources( as I have just relocated to London from abroad and all my personal goods are still in transit.) How can I wow the observation team. Any help please would grealy be appreciated. Thank you all in advance

I would focus on the speaking and listening side of things since it is mixed ability. Perhaps you could bring in something that you can talk about with the children? Sorry I don't have any really wow ideas at the moment, I'm having a blank!

As for your email to the school, I would say that whilst it certainly won't be wrong to have emailed them to say that the school probably would not have expected this and will no doubt be surprised. You've also put yourself under a bit of pressure there since you'll have to email it by Friday lunchtime for there to have been any point to doing it in the first place as well. I'm only saying this because I would say next time I wouldn't place this extra stress on yourself unless they specifically ask for it. It certainly won't count against you this time though, or at least not that I would imagine!

Edited by Guest

I would focus on the speaking and listening side of things since it is mixed ability. Perhaps you could bring in something that you can talk about with the children? Sorry I don't have any really wow ideas at the moment, I'm having a blank!

As for your email to the school, I would say that whilst it certainly won't be wrong to have emailed them to say that the school probably would not have expected this and will no doubt be surprised. You've also put yourself under a bit of pressure there since you'll have to email it by Friday lunchtime for there to have been any point to doing it in the first place as well. I'm only saying this because I would say next time I wouldn't place this extra stress on yourself unless they specifically ask for it. It certainly won't count against you this time though, or at least not that I would imagine!

thank you so much Kariana, yes I will try and send it off to the school tonight. You have invited a number of ideas into my mind already with your reply. Speaking and listening would be good. I was thinking of.1. bringing in objects , maybe transport items and encourage the children to speak about what sound they think each item makes. 2. Having a sound bag, with everyday objects that make sounds eg a clock, keys , crisps, squeaky toy, small change, where a child choses an item from the bag and the other children have to guess what is is by listening to the sound it makes.Thank you again

I was on a recent interview panel for a reception post and the candidate read a story but had tins containing items from the story - a tin full of leaves for a forest - children touched and talked about the sound and smelt - discussed -another tin with shells and seaweed - for an ocean

another candidate brought a gift wrapped box from a friend when she invited the children to help open it there was a letter from the moon and a box of different sized,shaped, textured "moon" rocks which prompted a great deal of discussion

I was on a recent interview panel for a reception post and the candidate read a story but had tins containing items from the story - a tin full of leaves for a forest - children touched and talked about the sound and smelt - discussed -another tin with shells and seaweed - for an ocean

another candidate brought a gift wrapped box from a friend when she invited the children to help open it there was a letter from the moon and a box of different sized,shaped, textured "moon" rocks which prompted a great deal of discussion

thank Marion, I like both your ideas too they are very original which is why i am steering away from using commercial story sacks. I did something similiar for "we are going on a bear hunt" Where we had trays filled with mud and grass for the forest etc. but I do like your second idea and am tempted to do something similiar, thank you so much

I like listening stones - you have to put them to your ear and then listen really carefully and see what you can hear. I use large marbles or someother colourful stone. I have done this activity outside - you can hear birds, traffic, sirens etc

thank Marion, I like both your ideas too they are very original which is why i am steering away from using commercial story sacks. I did something similiar for "we are going on a bear hunt" Where we had trays filled with mud and grass for the forest etc. but I do like your second idea and am tempted to do something similiar, thank you so much

thanks for that Jo, I can probably weave that idea in as I have, decided to go ahead with the "moon rock" activity however the acitivity will probably bee indoors so I hope the children are able to hear interesting sounds . By the way the school just emailed to say that my planning has been forwarded on to the Head an Deputy head.

• 2 weeks later...
thanks for that Jo, I can probably weave that idea in as I have, decided to go ahead with the "moon rock" activity however the acitivity will probably bee indoors so I hope the children are able to hear interesting sounds . By the way the school just emailed to say that my planning has been forwarded on to the Head an Deputy head.

Dear All, just to let you know that the obs went very well, I was then called in for an interview, subsquently I have been offered the the job . Many thanks to everyone that comntibuted to the thread.