Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Display Of Learning Objectives?

do you display and discuss your learning objectives with the children for a focussed activity?

Being observed by LA EYFS adviser tomorrow and HT has given a clecklist of reminders; one is to make sure that the LO are displayed on the whiteboard and discussed with the children.

What should I do???????

aaaaggghhh

Am I the only one who thinks that this is an unnecessary waste of time; my children can't read and don't speak English!!!

Or should I just do it, smile nicely and say nothing?

Hello,

In reception I currently use our 'Learning Ladybird' (I change the character frequently so it fits with our topic)

It's just a character with a speech bubble that says "We are learning to..." with enough room for me to write a short simple LO in CHILD FRIENDLY terms! I print this out and laminate it so I can write on with a drywipe pen for each learning activity. I keep them and use them year on year. I talk to the children about what we are going to be learning about - referring to our learning ladybird and revisit in the plenary asking the children to self evaluate whether they have met the objective.

This seems to have kept everyone happy where I am and its a gentle intro. to the formal use of learning objectives.

HTH and good luck with your Ob tomorrow!

Carla..

do you display and discuss your learning objectives with the children for a focussed activity?

Being observed by LA EYFS adviser tomorrow and HT has given a clecklist of reminders; one is to make sure that the LO are displayed on the whiteboard and discussed with the children.

What should I do???????

aaaaggghhh

I have a learning tree on a display and I have laminated leaves which I write on which get added to the tree over the week. We review them at the end of the week. The children like it and if I forget they will remind me to do the learning leaf!

When we review learning at the end of the session/day I will refer to the learning leaf but much more focus is on what the children have been 'choosing to learn' in their play.

I have wondered the point of it in the past, but I think its useful for the children to see me/adults writing for a purpose and they like to know what they are going to be doing/learning. x

Guest LornaW
Am I the only one who thinks that this is an unnecessary waste of time; my children can't read and don't speak English!!!

Or should I just do it, smile nicely and say nothing?

No Kathryn I agree with you by all means talk about it but having it written up fpor me is pointless just seems like I am ticking a box.

For adult focus time I tell the children what they are going to learn, teach them and then tell them what they have learned and they tell me too! (A little like plan/do/review at child initiate time) Works well for me.

I was at a conference recently when an Ofsted inspector asked Shirley Clarke about WALT and WILF and spending time writing it up etc and Shirley Clarke said she had not been recommending this for some time now and the Ofsted inspector said she was glad to hear it as she say so much time being wasted doing this.

I was heartily delighted!

Lorna

I guess it is a little late to introduce a tree or a ladybird but these are idaes that seem workable. I will just have to 'tick the box' tomorrow and hope for the best.

Thanks

I LOVE the learning tree idea - do you review with the children at the end of each week? day?

I review the learning at the end of the day - briefly, simple thumbs up/shakey thumbs. Then on a Friday afternoon we take all the leaves off and read through them recapping on what we did/learnt/enjoyed.

Also like the ladybird idea!! x

Often instead of telling the children what they are going to learn I pose a question such as "How do you make a cheese sandwich?" or "Can you add two numbers together?" The children really love this because it gets them thinking rather than just sitting and being told what they are going to learn. At the end we can then either think about whether we have answered it (as with the first question) or think about what the answer is (yes/no, as with the second question).

Sorry- I forgot to come back to this.

In the end I wrote the objectives on a small (A4 size) whiteboard which I left propped up near to where we were working. Seemed to be OK; she didn't mention it so must have satisfied the requirement.

Otherwise the obs was OK, kind of let down by things outsied my control.

Thnaks for your help and views.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)