Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

My Unique Story/parent, Child Voice - Help

Not sure whether this is in the right section, but hope someone can help my addled brain. I am thinking about next year and have been told by my HT that I should initiate My Unique Story.I went on the intro course, but it did not really help. I understand that some pre-schools are doing this but it is not compulsory. Is it compulsory or advised in schools or optional?

At present I have a "Special Book" which is a bit like a learning journal and contains photos and some obs (most go in a Profile folder), challenges, notes home about any topics etc and the reading record. It is also somewhere parents can comment on child's achievements and milestones and we can let parents know about things happening in school. But there are not the termly meetings and no special format as in My Unique Story.

Does anyone know whether I have to have a separate "My Unique Story" or could it be part of this "Special Book"? Do you have meetings with the new parents to talk about the Unique Story, now/at start of the term?

Thank you for any suggestions/help on what you do for the Parent/Child voice.

Guest LornaW
Not sure whether this is in the right section, but hope someone can help my addled brain. I am thinking about next year and have been told by my HT that I should initiate My Unique Story.I went on the intro course, but it did not really help. I understand that some pre-schools are doing this but it is not compulsory. Is it compulsory or advised in schools or optional?

At present I have a "Special Book" which is a bit like a learning journal and contains photos and some obs (most go in a Profile folder), challenges, notes home about any topics etc and the reading record. It is also somewhere parents can comment on child's achievements and milestones and we can let parents know about things happening in school. But there are not the termly meetings and no special format as in My Unique Story.

Does anyone know whether I have to have a separate "My Unique Story" or could it be part of this "Special Book"? Do you have meetings with the new parents to talk about the Unique Story, now/at start of the term?

Thank you for any suggestions/help on what you do for the Parent/Child voice.

Hi Scotsman

I am thinking you are referring to the Kent document and you are in a Kent school. If so this is a document that has been developed over a few years now and is to follow the progress of children from day care/ nursery / pre school / child minder / school. It is not statutory but has proved to be a useful way to meet the requirements of the EYFS and also of the individual child. I think the best way forward for you would be to contact your local Adviser for Early Years. If you are not sure who this is if you PM me I can let you know.

Lorna

Hi Scotsman

I am thinking you are referring to the Kent document and you are in a Kent school. If so this is a document that has been developed over a few years now and is to follow the progress of children from day care/ nursery / pre school / child minder / school. It is not statutory but has proved to be a useful way to meet the requirements of the EYFS and also of the individual child. I think the best way forward for you would be to contact your local Adviser for Early Years. If you are not sure who this is if you PM me I can let you know.

Lorna

Thanks Lorna - I will do so.

Hi Scotsman,

we used it for the first time this year....

We adapted it to suit our school and the parents filled out their bits shortly after their childen started school. We completed our bit, responding to the parents questions and asked the children their views and scribed their bits for them.

We then discussed it at the first parent interviews in early Oct. It kept us focussed and we were able to answer any questions parents asked. It was great to see what the children said about home and their school.

We got 109 out of the 120 returned the first time.....

We repeated the process in Feb (118 returned) and June (115 returned), the June one being the basis of their end of year report.

These were then put together and their FSP scores added to them for their school report showing the child's development throughout their time with us in FS at Riverview. It had input from parent, child and school.

They will be going out early this week and I hope the parents like them.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)