Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Counting In 10's

I need some really fun activities for counting in 10's, for the first week back after easter.Can anyone help?

Also does anyone know where I can buy or download number lines that count in 10's to 100?

Thanks

I think there may be a free program on the NNS site - about a year ago a resource CDROM with progs and planning was issued free to all schools by DfES linked to the NNS. Have you got it?

I made my own bead string to 100 with 10 blue, 10 yellow, 10 blue etc but you can buy them from lots of places - ask your numeracy coordinator.

I use 10p coins a lot for counting in 10s, but also the 100 square and flash cards.

HTH :o

thanks for the ideas, i havent got that CD Rom but will look in school for it.

I've had one of those bead strings in class for ages and only found out today what it was for!!

When I have done this before we have talked about why you might want to count in 10's for example counting a line of people's toes or fingers !!!

Counting in 10s?????????? I would really appreciate it if my children could count in 1s!!!!!!!!! Have just started REALLY worrying about my children. I have just finished school and had to stay back to fill in my 12th SEN referral form for my children. The rest are simply milling along - but if I was really picky I could fill in a few more!

I am in an inner city school with 100% EAL children. The three form entry school is very low below national average. I am so worried about my children - they're not even accessing the curriculum in FS appropriately - God help them in September in Y1.

But then again, in Y1 it will count more and they will get the extra support they need coz obviously in FS we all simply play so how can the children display SEN ???

This is the response from the SENCO - which means, basically, that we're in the ****!!!!

Thanks for allowing my rant!!!

The number crew (channel 4) have a nice song about counting in tens and on the members sit you can download resources.

for counting in 10s i did a hanging number line from ceiling of pairs of hands (so they can see the 10 fingers each time) 10, 20 etc (hope thats clear) found this one really effective

I have also done daisies with 10 petals etc

and frogs going up in 10s

There are some nice ideas in the belair books and in the maths on display.

Let me know what you come up with and I will continue to give it some thought.

:)

Counting in 10s??????????  I would really appreciate it if my children could count in 1s!!!!!!!!!  Have just started REALLY worrying about my children.  I have just finished school and had to stay back to fill in my 12th SEN referral form for my children.  The rest are simply milling along - but if I was really picky I could fill in a few more! 

I am in an inner city school with 100% EAL children.  The three form entry school is very low below national average.  I am so worried about my children - they're not even accessing the curriculum in FS appropriately - God help them in September in Y1.

But then again, in Y1 it will count more and they will get the extra support they need coz obviously in FS we all simply play so how can the children display SEN ???

This is the response from the SENCO - which means, basically, that we're in the ****!!!!

Thanks for allowing my rant!!!

27490[/snapback]

You are quite entitled to rant thats what we are here for!!!!! Sounds like you have your work cut out though!

Following on from the handprints numberline idea, how about taking digital photographs of each child holding up all their fingers - then you could make a really personal numberline for the wall, or laminate them and they could use them as counting cards.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)