Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help! Outstanding Lesson Needed

Hi

I hope there is someone out there who can help. We have a monitoring visit on Monday and the head has put a lot of pressure on me to deliver an outstanding lesson in a mixed Reception/Year 1 class. I am thinking of doing Goldilocks and the Three Bears as it links to our topic "Traditional Tales". I have thougt of all the usual stuff - making porridge, role play, ordering size etc, but I need a WOW start to the lesson and i have got no ideas, I have no inspiration what so ever. I am hoping there are lots of you out there who can help. Thank you :o

I have some ideas I've used for Literacy. What about having a story sack with different objects in and bringing them out one at a time, getting the children to guess which story it is, final object could be a copy of the story which you could read? Activity ideas - what about having masks and props, one group could act out the story, another group could draw a story map, could also have puppets to play with, trays of porridge oats to explore, write a sorry letter from Goldilocks to Baby bear, pictures to stick in order.... Hope this helps, good luck!

Kathryn

Could you have a box or basket or something with key things in - 3 bowls, 3 spoons, etc - for chn to work out who they belong to?

Or set up a role-play area as a home and put the stuff in there 'in situ' and investigate together who lives there? Maybe don't have all the objects immediately obvious otherwise they won't have to do much thinking.

Could possibly set up home area in advance and put 'for sale' sign next to it. On morning of lesson, chnage it to 'sold' and then try to figure out who has moved in.

Maybe not 'wow' enough though ... I don't know......!

thank you for the replies, the ideas sound wonderful. Think i will set something up in the role play, or even outside, we have a small cottage out there and i could open the bag with props in out there if the weather is ok. Again thank you, i really needed the help :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)