Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reading Scheme

As the title suggests really. We are using a scheme which i dont think works very well to compliment development in phonics-building and segmenting.

Its fine for my high fliers but for those who need more support blending and segmenting there just isn't enough range within the realms of phase 2 letters and sounds.

Can I ask what the progression should be through reading books, or what progression there is through the range of books you use. Im still new to this and although im sure its not good i cant go shouting that without some info!! lol!

i can't think what the scheme is at the mo. i know the books have things like beginning to read, progression in phonics on the back.

Also, it might just be that i dont understand it, in which case i need help!! (or maybe thats another story!)

lucie x

Lucie, without knowing which scheme you are talking about its probably not east to help you!

You should have some sort of teacher's handbook in school to help you use the scheme successfully ie understand its rationale or you may find more info on the publishers website. However, it maybe that actually you need to be supplementing it with additional phonic material. Or it might be that as you think, it does not suit your cohort.

Find out more and get back to us!

OK,so its cambridge reading. at present the books are split into the different sections that it gives on the back of each book. BUT have been on the website and on there the books are banded instead.

They just seem to get very difficult very quickly, with only a few books available to consolidate blending of simple words. any advice? i think you're right susan and i will have to supplement, but this scheme runs through the year groups and are the only scheme in school at the mo.

I've not seen your scheme but I found myself in similar situtation when I joined my school. I tried to use their existng scheme but in the end carefully suggested that with the development of phonics and the phases these books don't complement this as well as other schemes that are designed to be used with letters and sounds for example. My school did not have any money so I wrote to the findraisers/PTA and was given £500 which I bought pink, red, yellow and blue band books - they are amazing! By green band the children can cope with the other scheme. These books have been greatly received by KS1 too. I think as long as you can justify your reason about why you don't like it but be careful not to offend other teachers who like it, then hopefully they will be fine. I don't think it hurts to have more than one guided reading scheme. Hope that helps. x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)