Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Child Initiated And Structure?

Hi everyone

i am foundation leader and work in the maintained nursery. just had a 'mini ofsted' ready for big OFSTED next year. was observed and foundation ok but inspector questioned how we did CI as on my plans there were no objectives. Explained how we did plan do review and were highscope which they were pleased about but constantly went on about having more structure in CI? trying to understand this and have questioned friends in private settings and maintained but they could not help or understand what was meant. they mentioned pictures/photos to show the children how to do things which I can see working in perhaps creative/sand/water/numeracy but am I hten not limiting their imagination and independence. we have always been obs by advisors and nothing has ever been said about more structure in CI. Is this a new thing? we always support them, scaffold them , play alongside etc., do obs and next steps etc. Still racking my brain whilst watching england get slaughtered!

I'm in Reception but it is my understanding that CI plans should not have learning objectives. Although I have heard of others being pulled up on this at ofsted. I have thought about putting intended or possible learning objectives. Adding photos etc to me would make it adult initiated. I do think there is a place for this but child initiated means chil initiated. We cannot plan for it, the children choose what they want to learn. So probably not much help to you.

Interested to read others views on this. x

Thanks KST

I'm not the only one who feels it would become adult initiated then! I always put up continuous provision every term and they weren't at all interested in that!

Totally agree with you. Child initiated is child initiated and we cannot possibly second guess what the outcome may be!! and if we did it's chance to be a waste of time - children have things in mind we could never imagine!

I've ordered a crystal ball to help with this and if it ever arrives I'll let you know where I ordered it from LOL

Seriously though could you not use you CI as reflective planning and write on at the end of session what you have seen and add any extensions on from here? Then between forward AL planning and CI you should be covering most of your goals - any 'gaps' would continue to be planned for.

I think you are not meeting resistance from advisors because they see the benefit of what you are doing, it speaks their language

I agree with KST that photographs are adult led and you are in danger of stifling imagination and creativity. Can you document and print off what the children are doing currently within the area and add their reflection

Hello there,

This isn't exactly the same thing but your post came up when I searched!

I am being observed tomorrow for a Nursery teacher's position and have done my planning except for the TA whom I want to stay providing support for the indoor continual provision. How do I plan for this in this circumstance? Do I have to have Learning outcomes for each area, surely not?

No idea so will take a stab at it if no-one takes pity on me!

Thanks!

Thanks for the input gingerbreadman

always write on the end of session planning and put in next steps ect. , but they didn't even look at this! did think about taking photos of what children doing and then put them up but we do this anyway. I am at a total loss :o

Hi greenp[hoenix and welcome

I would not have learning outcomes for each area, the continual provision shoud be enough, perhaps you could questions that the TA could possibly ask?

Thanks for your speed, I'm waiting for the lightbulb to go on. I think I will suggest questions she could ask to enhance each area, or possibly link it into my activity theme of bears (don't know how easy that will be!). Also if all children decide to go and use the outdoors she will have to join myself and the other TA outside. Does that sound ok?

Have also just realised I have commited a forum no-no, seriously didn't mean to jump your thread, just thought you might know the answer!

Edited by greenphoenix