Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Interview Advice Please!

Hi there,

This is my first post and I'm hoping you can help me!

I have an interview and lesson observation next week for a nursery teacher's position and am thinking of using teddy bears as a 'theme'. There will be 2 TA's to support a class of 30 for a half hour lesson. I feel I need to plan 3 activities basically and use the outdoor environment even if weather is a bit dodgy. Do all the children need to be planned for and therefore have an adult overseeing them? Or do I allow for a group of children using the continual provision? Not all areas of the inside classroom can be viewed at once, how should I plan for this, bearing in mind I'm being observed?

Also, is there any resources here for planning, themes etc - looking for Teddy bears/picnics etc.

Many thanks for your help in advance and nice to 'meet' you!

Edited by greenphoenix

Hi greenphoenix and welcome.

I think you are moving in the right direction with your ideas and I would use your TAs to cover the area of the classroom that you can not see, with yourself in a fairly central position but do you know the routine that the children are used to as with such young children I would try to keep it as "normal" as possible for them. Is it possible for you to work with 3 groups, delivering a mini input with some other related activities within the continuous provision to support you? Or would a drama/ music idea activity be appropriate perhaps based a story---lots of bear stories about if you wanted to follow that theme?

There are some topic planning resources in another area and a search button at the top of this page.

However, as I am not a nursery teacher I would like you to have some more advice so I hope someone else will pop along soon.

Good luck.

As Susan said you need to keep it as normal as possible for them. Also I'd definitely plan for one TA to be just working with the children within the continuous provision, extending their learning as taken from the activities the children initiate themselves. This will also leave him/her free to deal with all those little problems that will crop up (scrapped knees/toileting issues/falling out etc) without interrupting any adult led activities you have going on.

I'd have an adult led inside and one outside which you and the other TA can run.

Edited by Guest

As Susan said you need to keep it as normal as possible for them. Also I'd definitely plan for one TA to be just working with the children within the continuous provision, extending their learning as taken from the activities the children initiate themselves. This will also leave him/her free to deal with all those little problems that will crop up (scrapped knees/toileting issues/falling out etc) without interrupting any adult led activities you have going on.

I'd have an adult led inside and one outside which you and the other TA can run.

Hiya - Im also just here to say HELLO ( Im a cm though so cant really help but keep it simple as strangers in the classroom/ home always send kids either loopy or super shy !!) Stay in your comfort zone ! hope it goes okay and we'll see more posts from you soon - to tell us how it went of course !!!:)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)