Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Our World

Our topic after Easter is 'Our World'. Haven't called it this before (usually the Garden) BUT i FANCIED DOING A BIT of geography and maybe something about respecting the planet. I think we've picked these as our kuw objectives:KU 9 observe, find out about, and identify features in the place they live and the

natural world;

KU 10

find out about their environment, and talk about those features they like and dislike.

Thought of having a barnaby bear/map of where he's been etc.

Any ideas for structured play?

Thanks

Zim :o

How about a bit on recycling, I would think your local council would have posters, info, leaflets and bags etc to help resource this idea, also it may be something that children could link with home.

Peggy

:o How about making a mudroc or papier mache landscape. You could make it with features of your own location or create an imaginary one. I made one of these with my reception class based on the story 'We're going on a bearhunt' - we had areas for grass, mud, river, a cave. The children painted it and then used it with small world figures to tell the story. Its still going strong after about a year and the children often use it with dinosaurs, animals, playmobil people etc. Hope this helps

Debbie

What a lovely idea Debbie. I love the bear hunt. Have you got a photo by any chance? I haven't used mudrock before is it easy to use?

:o No picture I'm afraid unless I can work out how to upload a digital image. But yes it is easy. I bought a square piece of plywood, about 1/4'' thick. The children screwed up newspaper to make basic landscape shape. Then they dipped strips of mudroc into water and laid it on. As we did this we added in some plastic trees. The whole thing took a few days to dry, but then thay were able to paint it with ordinary poster paint. I then painted over this with a PVA and water mix to seal it.

Ehat alovely idea. We doing bears at the moment and we went outside on a bear hunt, but this could be really interesting to do.

Thanks Debbie2

A good book might be Oi, get off our train - although for the life of me I cannot remember the author. What about a recycled display using old plastic bottles - the large ones with the indented shaped bottoms, coke and lemonade bottles are good/egg cartons etc and cut them into flower shapes and then get the children to paint them with a paint mixed with PVA glue and make a bit flower display.

Nikki

Thanks Nicola,

I have oi get off our train-its by John Burningham. Summer2's topic is animals so it will lead nicely into that. Like the idea of a recycled display-would you attach the egg carton bit as the flower with petals attached and the bottles as the stem do you mean? :) Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

We've decided to approach the topic from a 'save our planet' slant so that we can have a rainforest as our structured play and this will lead nicely into the next topic animals. Apart from Oi!get off our train and the bear hunt (because I want to do about exploring local area/different environments)I can't think of anymore books for our world any ideas any one? Are there any books out ther about looking after our own environment or about rainforests?

Thanks

Zim

What about Dear Greenpeace? A lovely story about a boy who thinks he has found a whale in his pond.

Also introduces the concept of letter writing (writing for different purposes)

Just clicking on this - and it's a bit late so brain may not be totally functioning :o but I'm sure I've got a book called 'Dinosaurs and all that rubbish' or something similar. I'm sure that is something about how we are causing problems through our treatment of the world.

I'll get back to you with more details if this looks useful.

Harricroft

Hi

Try and get hold of ''Wonderful EARTH'' by Nick Butterworth and Mick Inkpen

ISBN 1-85608-005-6

The fantastic book has colourful pictures, pop up objects, hands on ideas and much more.

Your children will love this one.

Carolann :D

There's a book called "Window" - the view from the window changes over time. Links to pollution and changes to the landscape, I think. Sorry, that's all I remember, last used it on teaching practice.

Harricroft, Carolan, Louise-thanks for that. I'll try to get those. Would like more details carolyn if poss. cheers :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)