Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

I Have A Lesson Observation This Week And ...

the form I have to fill in is asking me how long I will spend on my introduction and planary? And how long the children will soend doing the main activity.

It is an electronic form so I am very tempted to delete the timings column.

Surely the whole EYFS ethos means that timings will deoend on the interests and needs of the children during the session

What would you do?

Do you have to estimate timings?

Thanks

I've never known an observation wher you have to fill out timings for introductions and plenaries?!

I think what I'd do in this case would be to outline my intentions of these parts of the sessions, but state on the form that they are subject to change depending on the direction the session takes. You should get some feedback after the session, so if it's questions you probably know already what you will say if the timinigs and content don't go exactly to plan: the children directed the session after your initial input and you responded to theim by tailoring the session to meet their needs.

I don't think I'd delete the coloumn, but perhaps use it as an opportunity to point out that sessions in FS are more flexible and maybe the framework for assessments needs addressing if it's not appropriate?

I'm intrigued by this one - keep me posted!

Thanks Jess. I am supposed to fill in the timings for every focussed activity but I normally just ignore that column; however' I feel I can' do that becuase the session plan will be scrutinised.

My setting is unique and caters for 4-16 year olds. I am being observed (Performance Management) by our deputy who is from a secondary background and has no interest in EYFS nor in young children.

I will have so much to point out in my feedback, I just know! (I think she will be expecting to see a full class lesson.)

I will keep you posted.

Sorry - you're being observed by a secondary trained teacher with no interest in EYFS??? Fair enough your setting caters for 4-16, but is this the right person to be observing you? That sounds crazy. Just make sure you stand your ground, and have the EYFS documents to hand to show her what she should be looking for if your word isn't good enough for her.

I do sympathise with you - I've spent literally hours with my head (KS2 her whole career!) in the two years since I took on FS trying to explain and justify what we do, and I think it's sinking in.

Will be thinking of you :o

Yes, it is a crazy situation.

She does all the lesson observations and I am sure she will listen.

I did try showing her an EYFS observation criteria list but she said she couldn't use it as she had to ensure fairness to all staff and the same form/list had to be used. I tried explaining that THAT wasn't fair, to judge me on the same criteria as a keystage 2 or 3 lesson but I didn't really get anywhere.

Hi Best wiishes for your obs.

I am in similar situation and even though FS fill in propsed timings for intro, main FA, plenary and also what the TA is doing.

You are not alone!

Guest LornaW
Yes, it is a crazy situation.

She does all the lesson observations and I am sure she will listen.

I did try showing her an EYFS observation criteria list but she said she couldn't use it as she had to ensure fairness to all staff and the same form/list had to be used. I tried explaining that THAT wasn't fair, to judge me on the same criteria as a keystage 2 or 3 lesson but I didn't really get anywhere.

Look at the work of Julie Fisher she has written books such as Laying the Foundations and Starting with the Child perhaps you could ask you HT and DHT to read them or better still buy them one as a present and ask them to review them for you!!!!

Lorna

Edited by LornaW

Well the final outcome was good but, oh my goodness, the lack of EYFS knowledge was glaring.#

I will fill you in with more detail tomorrow as I have sooo much to do tonight BUT I was left feeling very frustrated.

I am going to order that book too, thank you.

Glad to hear that the outcome was good but sorry to hear how frustrated you're feeling. Looking forward to more details, don't work too hard tonight.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)