Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Patterns

Im looking for ideas to do with teaching

creating simple patterns, ive got a few ideas but would be grafeful of any inspiratiion!

I have looked at different types of wrapping paper and then encouraged the children to print their own. Also threading beads and pegboards are good for pattern making. If the children are really young make an instrument pattern. For example bag the triangle drum triangle drum and draw a symbol on the board to represent the instrument.

Guest Tracey F

When teaching repeating patterns I make patterns with the children themselves. These can range from the very simple and quite visual boy-girl-boy-girl, tall-short-tall, blond-dark-blond to the more difficult socks - tights - socks, laces - velcro - laces. The other morning one of my class commented that they were lined up in a boy-girl-boy pattern - so something must be going in! :o

a supply teacher we had in recently got the children to make repeating pattern necklaces with pieces of coloured drinking straws. (you know the neon plastic ones) She pre cut them about an inch for the children to thread onto a peice of wool with a bead secured at the end. The children loved them and were all wearing them with pride on my return! They could all talk about the pattern they had made and what would come next. A simple but effective idea and one which I will pinch and put into my planning next year!

We're a 'Healthy School', so to kill two birds with one stone, we made fruit kebabs and made patterns.

Strawberry - grape - grape - strawberry - grape - grape

It worked soooo well, they got to eat their kebabs after they'd explained their pattern... we ran out of strawberries though :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)