Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help C5.1 Welcome Children

Hi

can anyone help with C5.1 direct observation on welcoming children into new setting. I dont know if im being thick i thought direct observationdns where when your asseser comes into the setting to witness you doing activities how can you do a activity for welcoming new children when you dont always have new children starting. Also when you cross reverence tasks where do you log in the cross reverencing. Been doing this course since January not handed anything in jet i feel like im going back words. HELP Please :o

Hi nerak

This one is difficult if you haven't got any new starters but couldn't your manager/supervisor do a witness statement for you? I don't know what sort of a setting you are in but do you only have one intake each year? We have a rolling program of intake most of the year, but one of my staff left this until September to do so that she could use a variety of children. Would you be able to do this and get on with other units?

LInda

Hi nerak

This one is difficult if you haven't got any new starters but couldn't your manager/supervisor do a witness statement for you? I don't know what sort of a setting you are in but do you only have one intake each year? We have a rolling program of intake most of the year, but one of my staff left this until September to do so that she could use a variety of children. Would you be able to do this and get on with other units?

LInda

27099[/snapback]

Hi Linda

My placement is quite happy to give me a witness statement but i thought you had to have a observation, and when we do have new children in september i think its a hard observation to arrange if shes only coming to see how you are with new children. I dont really understand what there asking for if they want a planned activity or just to witness how you are with new children.

Thank you for replying so quickly my tutor at collage is not much help.

Guest catkins

I can't understand why on earth you have being advised to start on one of the hardest units. I usually would recommend that candiates are 'eased' in at E3, C2 and C3 ... leave the observation for C5 until you have the opportunity to do it, as the chances are that the EV will not accept C5 unit without this observation. sit down with your assessor and discuss your concerns .... there is a natural progression through the units which your assessor should be able to advise you on, if you need any further advice i would be happy to help if i am able ...

You're right that this does have to be observed but this will only happen when you have new children. Equally further on in the unit you will need to be observed preparing children for 'moving on' which will only be observed later in the summer term. This is for your assessor to worry about though and she should sit and plan her visits with you, letting you know what she is hoping to observe so that you can plan appropriate activities at these times.

As to the cross referencing -- have you read Sue's article on building your portfolio? You will find it here. :) If this is your first unit there won't be much to cross reference yet though. The important thing is to make sure you number all your pieces of work so that you can refer back to them at a later stage.

Hi, I have just completed this unit and as my assessor was not able to observe these two elements, I had to write a reflective log of both welcoming new children and preparing children to move on. I would have preferred her to observe these, but she wants me to complete each unit as she comes to assess me for it.

jackie

jackie,

I am just training to be an assessor and there are some things I won't necessarily observe but most of the PC's an assessor does have to observe. There is guidance given at the start of each unit if you are not sure.

I am a little concerned that your assessor has signed off a unit without actually observing everything she should. This is exactly the sort of thing that people will cite as to why the vocational qualifications are not worth anything. It relies on assessors upholding the integrity of the award and this is clearly not happening in some places. xD I'm not implying that you can't do your job and shouldn't have the qualification, but clearly some people who can't do it are being awarded it. :o

I have had nothing signed off yet as ive handed nothing in.My question was how do you haVE A DIRECT OBSERVATION WELCOMING CHILDREN I NEVER MENTIONED HAVING ANYTHING SIGNED OFF. i DONT THINK IM GETTING THE RIGHT ADVISE FROM MY ACCESER. i HAVE NO INTENTION OF TRYING TO GET OUT OF DOING ANY WORK I JUST DONT UNDERSTAND HOW YOU CAN ARRANGE FOR SOME ONE TO OBSERVE YOU WELCOMING IN NEW CHILDREN.

Nerak,

I think you misunderstood. I was replying to jackie who posted after you. :) I was not implying that you are trying to get out of doing work or jackie for that matter. My gripe is with assessors who are not doing their jobs correctly and therefore risk letting some people get the qualification when they maybe shouldn't. How can you be sure someone is competent at their job without observing them in action?

Your assessor should come out and observe you when you do have new children and see how you help them to settle. This is not hard to arrange but clearly can only happen when you have new children starting. She will need to come out quite a few times to do observations so that she is sure that she has observed everything she needs to for the whole award. Did your assessor say that she was coming out to observe you settling new children? :)

I am a nursery teacher and have an NVQ 3 student in my nursery. I have seen the assessor once since September. I have not been asked for any witness statements and I have never been asked to help the student with any tasks or assignments, despite repeatedly asking for information. I feel the system has rather a lot of loopholes!

I am a nursery teacher and have an NVQ 3 student in my nursery. I have seen the assessor once since September. I have not been asked for any witness statements and I have never been asked to help the student with any tasks or assignments, despite repeatedly asking for information. I feel the system has rather a lot of loopholes!

27626[/snapback]

It sounds like your student is not doing the work she should be doing. As its up to the student to get witness statements and ask for advise. The assesor will only come out when a student is ready and asks her to. At least thats the way its working out for me at the miniut.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)