Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Foundation Stage Unit - Please Help!

Guest bevben

Guest bevben

Hi, I've been a member of FSF for a while but this is my first post asking for help. I've been apointed as FS co ordinator starting in Sept and the nursery & reception classes are combining to form a unit. I've done lots of research and reading up on here and other places but some of the advice re daily routines, planning etc is a bit dated - some of it over 4 yrs ago. Soooo - I wondered if anyone out there would mind sharing some of their current practice in Foundation units please? I've got so many questions and ideas that I don't know where to start!!

I'd love to hear how people organise short term planning, medium and long term? Daily routines - in particular the timing of adult led input and focus activites, how the key person / worker role works best in a unit? Planning for enhanced provision etc, etc.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance xx

Hi weve been a fu for 2 years now, really hard getting our heard round it at first, but ok now, can see a huge benefit for the children.

We have 1 reception teacher/ fs coordinator who has reception class of 30, 2 nneb's 13 each session and a ta who helps in reception.

Reception have input from 9ish to bout 9.40, nursery bout 9.10-9.40 after parents have gone, we then have free flow, where member of staff is either outside in wet or dry area, till 11, then tidy story dinner and repeat in afternoon.

The main thing is to plan for fantastic free flow, some to build on tha topic/ what you taught in adult led activity, most to encourage child initiated learning.We have a 'talking table' where we ask children what equipment/ activities they would like out next week.They love it, and they come up with better ideas than we ever can.

Hope this helps

Gill x

Guest bevben

Thanks Gill, that's the kind of information I was looking for. It's a lot to think through in terms of the routine and where to plan for adults. I do intend to allow for a huge amount of child initiated play and want to make the most of the staff to plan for observations and interacting with the children. Lots of practical issues to think through too!!

Thanks again

Bev x

Hi, I've been a member of FSF for a while but this is my first post asking for help. I've been apointed as FS co ordinator starting in Sept and the nursery & reception classes are combining to form a unit. I've done lots of research and reading up on here and other places but some of the advice re daily routines, planning etc is a bit dated - some of it over 4 yrs ago. Soooo - I wondered if anyone out there would mind sharing some of their current practice in Foundation units please? I've got so many questions and ideas that I don't know where to start!!

I'd love to hear how people organise short term planning, medium and long term? Daily routines - in particular the timing of adult led input and focus activites, how the key person / worker role works best in a unit? Planning for enhanced provision etc, etc.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance xx

Hello we are a Foundation Unit in the North West and we don't mind you visiting at all.. . . . .If you'd like . . . . . . for a chat. We've been up and running for about 6or7 years now . . . . you are quite welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 4 months later...

Hi

I am also new to FS and was wondering if neone in South Wales would like a visitor to their setting. We really are starting from scratch! With v little management support!! Please help!!

• 5 weeks later...

I am a Foundation Stage Manager and we have recently moved into a new unit. We have never planned as a team before...how do others do this? Do you still do an overall theme and take childrens interests to enhance this? Do you all plan as a team rather than as Nursery and Reception? We currently plan as a team but plan a N and a R adult led activity then share the enhancements.....AAGHHHH.....HELP!!!!!

I'm new to this and this is my first post even though i have been a member reading them for a long time! x

• 3 months later...

I'm an EYP going for a job in a FSU next week!! For my interview I have to lead a short session with the whole group...a story and then lead a small group activity, before a reflective exercise of 2-3 scenarios to prep and then lead them into my interview proper...EEeek!!! This is the scriest interview EVER!!! worse than when I (mistakenly) thought I wnated to teach and had an interview at Homerton College Cambridge...LOL

Any advice? They said I can pick a theme but I wish I knew what their planning was....would it be more professional to ask, explain i feel it'll be less disruptive to staff and pupils that way? Otherwise it could not go well, if I suddenly introduce something poles apart from what they've looked at...or the kids might get hooked and be unwilling to return to the school's topic when i'm gone?!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)